Options

Looking for a method to have each lab device on it's own tab.

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
I like to have a lot of windows open. I like to see things happen at the 'moment'. If I type in "shutdown" on an interface, I like to see the other router scream at me "It's down! The World's on fire!". If I switch devices by going to another console port, I miss the messages! For example Neighbor Discovery messages.

I was thinking of one possible way to accomplish what I need:
1. Many USB ports, console cables, and USB to Console devices. Open up a window per device.

Anyone else know if there's a way to view messages on the fly as they happen?

A terminal Server router (2509/2511) will all you to manage multiple devices, but you'll need to switch 'screens' to do this. It's hard to see output of things happening on the fly to different devices.
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    If I am not mistaken Putty Connection Manager has tabs. That should work with the 2509, I know it did when I had my 2509RJ.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    mgates67mgates67 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a Digi CM32 terminal server. With that, I can use my own terminal emulator (I have both Tera Term and puTTY) to telnet (or SSH) to each device individually. I can open multiple windows and use each to connect to a different device.

I have an IP address assigned to CM32. Each serial port is then mapped to a different port number. The first serial port maps to port 7001, the second to 7002, etc... I can then open a terminal emulator and telnet to x.x.x.x:7001 to connect to the first device. Then open a second emulator window and telnet to x.x.x.x:7002. I have had 8 or 10 windows open simultaneously to do exactly what you described without any issues.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    A terminal Server router (2509/2511) will all you to manage multiple devices, but you'll need to switch 'screens' to do this. It's hard to see output of things happening on the fly to different devices.
    Open multiple telnet sessions to the 2509 and from each session reverse telnet into a different device.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%