NOC/Data Center Engineers, what do you have in your toolbox.

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
So I just got a job working for a DataCenter and in another discussion chrisone mentioned tools to have in the toolbox. I’m just curious, for those of you who work in the data center only occasionally, what tools do you bring?

Hardware
===========
Laptop
1x Cat6 patch
1x Cat6 Crossover
1x RS-232 (USB to Serial)

Toner, Crimper, ends, cable?

Software
=============
NMAP
Wireshark

OS
==============
Backtrack?
What do you use?

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Laptop, Cat5e patch/crossover, USB to serial converter, null-modem cable, rollover cable. And the most valuable resource: Google. ;)
  • vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Backtrack in a Datacenter? If your doing Security Engineering work in DC, it would be a commercial vendor software.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    astorrs wrote: »
    And the most valuable resource: Google. ;)

+1 on that!
    vanquish23 wrote: »
    Backtrack in a Datacenter? If your doing Security Engineering work in DC, it would be a commercial vendor software.

Hey I'm all for that too. I usually use Fedora(laptop) and this is a IBM, AIX, Radhat, Cisco, VMWare shop. I meant that on the laptop you might bring with you Backtrack.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What are you actually going to be doing? Should help narrow down what tools you will need.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    What are you actually going to be doing? Should help narrow down what tools you will need.

Here is the job description. I have mostly worked for Corp networks in the past (Windows AD, VMware and Xenserver virtualization, some Linux CentOS 20%, email Exchange/Lotus Domino, Netapp/HP SANs, Cisco Catalyst switches and ASA devices.)

It's 90-95% working remotely from home, but 5-10% of the time I'll need to go onsite.

===========================================
    This position will configure and maintain the network infrastructure of the Lighthouse Gateway.
    Role:

·Update Cisco CSS configurations
    ·Update Cisco ASA VPN configurations
    ·Upgrade Cisco firmware
    ·Maintain and improve system monitoring (Splunk)
    ·Respond to alerts
    ·Troubleshoot network traces
    ·Implement network monitoring
    ·Maintain production hardware
    ·Patch system software (Linux, PostgreSQL, WebSphere, etc)
    ·Deploy and manage vSphere images
    ·Maintain backup/restore processes

Requirements:
    ·Solid written and verbal communication skills
    ·2+ years Cisco Networking
    ·1+ years vSphere and vCenter 5 (monitoring, backup and ‘migration’ of virtual machines within virtual machine cluster)
    ·2+ years Linux, (Red Hat and SuSE)
    ·Storage Area Network (SAN) technologies
    ·PLUS: Tivoli Security products (TAMeb, TDI, TDS, TFIM)
    ================================================== =