Nexus 7 vs IPad Mini for E-book reading

StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
As the title states; What do you guys would be better out of the two for use as an E-Book reader to read textbooks?

Also might use the device for web browsing other light computing tasks, however the primary use will be to use as an E-Book reader.

All comments will help, Cheers.

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Get the Nexus 7, if you want to use it mainly as an e-reader and web browsing it is a good tablet. I stick with the iPad for kids stuff for my son and I find more games/apps I prefer in the iOS app store.

I had a Nexus 7 and it was fine for reading.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cheapest tablet you can get IMO. The iPad in general is a great device, but if you just want an eBook reader with light browsing capabilities, a Kindle or something along those lines makes sense.

I will recommend any iOS device all day long, but not for this purpose. Just get the cheapest device that will work.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    The Nexus 7 has a Retina display and the iPad Mini does not. The Mini's resolution is only 1024x768 (162 pixels/inch) and the Nexus' Retina display is 1280x800 (215ppi). The 16x9 Nexus is much better for watching HD movies than the 4x3 Mini too. I don't see how the 16GB Apple iPad Mini is worth spending $130 more than the 16GB Google Nexus 7.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Slightly off topic, but I have been on the market for a 10-inch tablet to view the WGU course material and to read e-books and it looks like I have found a winner - the Nexus 10!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

I feel that a 10 inch tablet is just too big. 7-8 Inches is perfect IMO.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i think the ipad mini is outdated from launch

if the make the screen smaller and upped the insides to make up the cost difference it may be a diff story

i also think google/android is finally on the right track my basically making their own tabs/phones with the nexus 4, 7, 10
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ipads overrated :) ive got a Nexus and wouldn't go back love it does everything I need it to do and the cost was decent.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm waiting for the Nexus 7 32GB.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Waiting for? It's been out for a lil bit now @ $250.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

My wife has a Kindle Fire and I think the hardware on that is better in some places over the Nexus 7. It has two speakers and the sound is pretty good for watching videos. The wifi is a bit faster as well.

Amazon and whatever deal Google has with Asus makes those 7 inch tablets much cheaper because they are sold at a lost for Amazon and at cost for Asus it would make little to no sense for Apple to even want to compete with that especially since Apple sells a ton of iPads anyways.

Apple can sell theirs at a higher cost because of the App store primarily. I saw a report that Amazon makes something like four times more money off the Amazon app store than Google does with Play. Not sure how but I think consumers feel safer/better in the Amazon store or the Fire was their first tablet /shrug.

I think eventually there will only be Nexus tablets and the cheap no name ones eventually. Samsung might adopt the Amazon model and bring the app store inside and build their own Android OS.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    ^ Yes, Amazon makes their money through their online economy, not the devices. :)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i personally prefer the amazon app store ... i know its smaller but i think they pick and choose the apps in there and screen them better
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but I have been on the market for a 10-inch tablet to view the WGU course material and to read e-books and it looks like I have found a winner - the Nexus 10!

I was using my HP Touchpad with Android 4.0 for it for awhile and it worked well. I hate having a 7 inch screen for technical books or school. I always feel like I'm scrolling right-to-left to read. I've been trying the Surface lately and I love the fact that I have splitscreen mode so I can continue doing silly procrastinating things like post on here while actually reading through my coursework. The only thing I would change is that they should allow more flexibility for the split-screen dimensions.

As far as the OP: Nexus 7. iPad mini is very overpriced for what you are getting out of it. Just my 2 cents
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Never been a fan of small screen for reading. That's why I never bought the original Kindle. I was a DXG user for a while. It was great. However, I hated the fact that it was too slow moving from one page to another. Sold my DXG and bought a refurb iPad from Apple with 1yr warranty for around $300. Yea, iPad Mini is overpriced.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Nexus 7 and get EZPDFReader from the Market place.

I use it on my rooted Kindle Fire and it makes reading tech books SO much easier.

Then you can use Aldiko for epubs :)

Thanks, might just have to purchase a nexus 7 then!
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was went to an Apple Store yesterday to buy a MacBook. I stopped and looked at the iPad Mini, really wasn't impressed. If you have another iDevice you know what it does, I think the only real selling point over an Android based device is for people want the same look and feel, iCloud, iMessage, etc.

I do love reading on my iPad 3 (or whatever we're supposed to call it), high res display's are awesome.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was considering an IPAD until I had come across the Nexus 7 and I must say... I've been very happy with it. It's very powerful and has been able to do everything I'd expect a tablet to do. They are on the verge of releasing an IPad competitor though called the Nexus 10. What are you guys thoughts on that vs the IPad? Nexus ? Google
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Looks good however I'm not a fan of the Big tablets "10" is classed as big to me. Hard to hold with One hand and not as user friendly/portable as a 7 inch device.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nexus, more bang for the less buck.

As an IT guy you are most likely going to want an open platform.
    -Daniel

I guess this is true. I've not had much experience to Android as an O/S either as my mobile phone (IPhone) Runs IOS. Would be good to get some exposure to Andriod.
    GoodReader on Android is requested a ton of times on their website. I think that was my big killer iOS app that I missed the most on Android.1
  • J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've had my Nexus 7 since they came out, I love it. I use it daily for reading technical books, apps, email, and surfing the web. The only issue (minor) I've had with mine is that in some low light settings the screen will appear to "flicker". This is due to the light sensor I guess, other people seem to have a similar issue. I have only had this happen a few times though.

Interesting... What's the build quality like for the nexus? I've only seen Youtube videos so haven't actually been able to see one in person yet. I know for a a fact that the IPad will be great build quality as it's a Apple Product (The only reason I really go for/consider Apple Products.)
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Kindle is best bet for just reading due to their non-glare screen. I experience eye strain/fatigue when reading too much on PC/Laptop/tablet, but not on the Kindle.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    StussyNz wrote: »
    Interesting... What's the build quality like for the nexus? I've only seen Youtube videos so haven't actually been able to see one in person yet. I know for a a fact that the IPad will be great build quality as it's a Apple Product (The only reason I really go for/consider Apple Products.)

It's pretty solid. While it does not have Gorilla Glass like the Kindle Fire, I find it to be a quality build device. I like the texture on the back makes it a little easier to hold. I don't use a case for mine.

ifixit.com did a nice tear down of the Nexus 7 : Nexus 7 Teardown - iFixit

The RAM in the Nexus 7 is the same kind that is used in MacBook Pro's with Retina displays.
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Waiting for? It's been out for a lil bit now @ $250.

I'm in the UK, it says coming soon on play.google.com, but I have seen you can now get it at other online stores!
    D-boy wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the Nexus 7 32GB.

Awaiting delivery today. I ordered from Very.co.uk and got £25 off discount code :)
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use Evernote on my Nexus and have all my study notes synced, Also use it for PDF's it's a fantastic bit of kit I love the build quality and it does everything I need it to do. It's fast responsive and the Tegra 3 has handled everything I have thrown at it. Also handles multitasking very well.

Would I buy a IPAD I'm not a Apple Hater but the Nexus does everything I need to do so why fork out that extra.

I currently am rocking the 16GB but am tempted to sell and update to the 32GB in the new Year, What is the best course of action regarding wiping my data off it?
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    When I got rid of my Nexus I just did the reset. I did hook it up to my PC and browse around the system to make sure just in case.