Options

CCNA Unlimited retakes for $300?

SlayerXSlayerX Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
Do we get unlimited amount of times to retake the test after 5 days if we fail the exam? By this I mean, we only have to pay $300 one time and can keep taking it until we pass? Or is it $300 every time we go to take it? Because I'm just a college student and I could only afford to pay that fee 1 time. I'm just trying to figure out what would be a better way to go with these tests.

Comments

• Options
    dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have to pay every time you take it. Lol. What would be the purpose of the certification if you could take it unlimited times with no consequences?
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    OP - Where did you get that idea ? :) There was an offer for a 2nd chance re-take at one time, but nothing more.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From very personal experience, and not passing 3 times (blowing away $800), you need a lot of prep work before you take the exam.

I highly encourage you to explore the other option of taking the CCNA as 2 exams, it's easier.

I highly recommend buying or renting some lab equipment and using a structured lab system, together with the CCNA books and a good practice exam engine. (I like Boson)

You can read a chapter, do the related labs for a few months. Once you feel comfortable with the material, start taking practice exams. When you score above 90%, you're ready for the test.

Please do not pay the $295 right now if you haven't done any serious studying, because I can almost gurantee you that you will not pass.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • Options
    SlayerXSlayerX Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh I was watching videos on youtube about CCNA and read forums and everyone was like oh just go retake it again, its no biggy but they all failed to mention its $300 every time you retake it. Well thanks for clarifying this. No, I don't plan to take it any time soon. It just makes me want to study even harder. I have all the material I need. my lab is GNS3 and two 2950's. I wish they would drop the price back down to like $200-$250.
    Yeah I can't afford to blow away $800 so that is intimidating just reading that. Thanks for the advice. Isn't the ICND1 $150? and the ICN2 $150?
    I might just go that route but I don't know.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    That is why you study hard, to avoid wasting money.
  • Options
    TheSicilianTheSicilian Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IMO, the 2-test route is perhaps a bit easier as it is less material you need to have down cold when sitting at the testing center. A $5 break is not much incentive to swallow that much of the elephant. I studied through both ICND1 & ICND2, but took just the ICND1 test my first time. Didn't make it because my lizard brain kept going to the more advanced stuff and I thought my way out of passing the test. Focus in on each piece on their own; they will marry themselves together in the end.