Options

Quick Question on source/destination MAC&IP

FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
So before I ask my question here is the topology that I am thinking of.

Host1--Switch1--Router1
Router2--Switch2--Server2

So lets say Host1 is sending packets with server2. The Source/Destination IP will be Host1IP/Server2IP, and this will not change. The MAC Source/Destination will change as it goes from host1 to router2. So from Router2 to Server2 the Source/Destination MACs will be Router2MAC/Server2MAC.

So here is my issue. When Server2 is responding back to Host1 will the Source/Destination IP still be Host1IP/Server2IP? Or will it change to Server2IP/Host1IP?

Also will source/destination mac be router2MAC/router1MAC when the packet is coming from server2?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    bwillfordbwillford Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When server 2 replies it will use its IP address as source with host 1 as the destination.

The MAC will leave Server 2 with Server 2's MAC as source and Router 2's as Destination. Then when it gets to Router 1 it will have Router 1 as source and Host 1 as destination.

I think :)
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is what I think too @bwillford. However I was talking to a fellow co-worker and he disagrees
  • Options
    jukemjukem Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also agree with bwillford
    “You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can’t do something themselves, they wanna tell you, you can’t do it. If you want something, go get it. Period.”--Will Smith in the Movie: Pursuit of Happyness
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If the source/destination didn't change how would the packet be routed back?

The source/destination MAC will always be what is need to traverse that L2 segment. So when Server2 sends a packet it will out Router2's MAC as the destination. When Router2 send that packet onto the next segment it will be Router1's MAC. If it tried to put the host's MAC at this point no one would answer as there isn't L2 reachability.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.