Options

Windows 8 Woes

bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
I really wanted to like Windows 8. I have been using it for almost a week now and its looking like I am going to have to uninstall and go back to Server 2008 R2 as my workstation OS. Basically the problem(s) is with it locking up randomly. I know this could indicate a hardware issue but being that this system has been running rock solid for almost 2 years now I have a hard time believing its my hardware. I am thinking it could be driver related and so I may reinstall and incrementally install drivers to see if I can narrow down what is specifically causing the problem.

Anyone else running Windows 8 experiencing similar issues? I have done some searching around and others are reporting issues with lock ups but so far I haven't found any solutions or clues as to what could be causing it.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd bet it's drivers. What can you do? It just came out. There will be driver issues. I'm waiting until either SP1 is out or I have new hardware, which is more likely to have Windows 8 drivers the developers gave some attention.

It would be worth narrowing down the driver, IMO, but for my main system I only have so much time to mess around with that.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a copy but didn't like it on my Windows laptop, figured I would use it on my desktop instead. I am waiting for drivers to mature a bit first. On my laptop I didn't have to install any drivers but usually I prefer current as possible drivers from vendors but Dell had not released any yet.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bdub wrote: »
    I am going to have to uninstall and go back to Server 2008 R2 as my workstation OS.

You use server 2008 as a desktop OS?!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try getting the newest video card drivers specifically for windows 8, they might be in beta if not generally available. I have had video card driver issues on a few computers with windows 8, otherwise it is very stable
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nel wrote: »

I used Windows Server 2003 as my desktop OS from 2005-2008. I then tried Vista and had no issues, then I upgraded to Windows 7. On the MSFN site, they had a guide for setting it up as a desktop OS. And for sure, 2008 R2, will likely be even better, as the desktop experience components are meant to support a large terminal services environment. 2012 may be promising for that, as well.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I absolutely HATE Windows 8 on a non-touchscreen device, and LOVE Windows 8 on a touchscreen device. :)
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    Well *fingers crossed* I decided to reinstall and just let windows decide the drivers this time and so far everything seems to be working fine. It shouldn't be too difficult to layer them on one at a time later when I have time.

@nel 2008 R2 is great as a desktop OS once configured for it. The main reason I've been using it is for Hyper-V so that I wouldn't need to have a separate box for labs.

So far for the most I really do like Windows 8, I can see where some might have a problem with it but at the same time I think a lot of people are blowing the "negatives" way out of proportion. Overall its better than Windows 7 feature wise, Client Hyper-V alone makes it worth the upgrade IMO.

On a side note, anyone else who has installed it noticed that even though they killed off the Aero theme on the desktop its still there during the installation wizard?
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I absolutely HATE Windows 8 on a non-touchscreen device, and LOVE Windows 8 on a touchscreen device. :)

I will agree with this. The other day I was at work having to work on a laptop side-by-side with the Surface. I had several embarrassing blonde moments where I would start touching the screen of the laptop and stare dumbfounded when the touchscreen didn't work. To be fair, I was on my 12th hour of overtime at that point (20th hour at work) and very very very tired. I never thought I'd rely on a touchscreen so much but I have to admit that it's integrating rather well into my daily routine.

As far as the driver lockups, I haven't experienced that yet. My desktop computer is a custom build that's about a year old so it could be that it's "older" hardware or I just haven't tried it on enough resource intensive applications yet.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options

As far as the driver lockups, I haven't experienced that yet. My desktop computer is a custom build that's about a year old so it could be that it's "older" hardware or I just haven't tried it on enough resource intensive applications yet.

Could be, my hardware is a custom Sandy Bridge build on the P67 chipset, so while its been out for awhile now its not too old. The lock ups were mostly browsers (didnt really seem to matter which browser they all did it) and once they locked up various other things locked up such as the performance tab on task manager (oddly other tabs worked fine so long as I didnt click the performance tab). Eventually everything would come back and work again for awhile.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nel wrote: »

Me too - rock solid .. can't fault it.

With a few tweaks you "won't feel a thing" - but get the advantage of a more stable OS

Using Server 2008 R2 as a Desktop OS: Installation and Setup (Part 1) - How-To Geek
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Since when was Windows 7 considered unstable/less stable?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Since when was Windows 7 considered unstable/less stable?
    Client variants are almost always less stable. I used Server 2003 as a desktop for a while, and it was better than XP.

However, since Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 are based on identical kernels (2003 and XP are not), there isn't much reason to believe Server is actually more stable. Windows 7 itself is pretty much rock solid. I haven't encountered non-driver/hardware instability issues in 7 or R2 at all. The same can't be said of XP and Vista, though 2000 and on in general are pretty solid.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How or why would a client version be less stable? It has less services running, add ons installed compared to a server OS. I would think a server OS has more possibilities for issues but seems more stable because it is usually installed on a smaller range of hardware and performs less random uses. Like my desktop I would install more third party software, play music, games, etc. I do more varied stuff on my desktop than I do a server.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Possible solution is at Workaround for Windows 8 freezing issues Within Windows

If you have a PC using a Nvidia chipset, you'll have to apply the fix then reboot.

I've already migrated my machines to Windows 8. Zero problems.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a 4 years old PC with an Nvidia GTS 250 Graphics Card, I had a couple of errors and reboots when I installed windows 8 two weeks ago, but it is stable now, I think auto updates fixed the drivers issue.

I love Reliability Monitor :D
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Installed Windows 8 Pro on a laptop a few weeks ago and also experienced the freezing issue that quite a few folks have had. To be honest, I was pretty shocked at the hard freeze--no mouse response, unable to ctrl-alt-del, etc--but I guess it happens. I hadn't experienced that on a personal machine since Windows ME, so yeah, I was surprised.

I'm not really all that impressed with 8. Lot of people either seem to love it or hate it, but I'm sort of seeing it as a Windows 7 with a tablet gui coat of paint. Yeah, it has some additional features, but it doesn't seem like a new OS to me. Of course, Vista to 7 was pretty much the same animal, but anyway.

At this point, I've used the dynamictick workaround and updated drivers. So far, no additional freezes, but I don't use that machine a lot (hence the experimentation with icon_cool.gif. I'd like to try 8 on a touch screen, but I can't justify the expense right now for what would basically be an unused toy.
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    To be fair, I was on my 12th hour of overtime at that point (20th hour at work) and very very very tired.

Iris--those kinds of hours are unhealthy by any measure. I hope you are taking care of yourself--not trying to mother hen, but I've been there, done that, etc. It's all too easy to sacrifice your health or cause a potentially deadly accident when working those kinds of hours. Once in a while things happen, but if happens with any amount of regularity it's just not worth it. Just some thoughts from the peanut gallery.
  • Options
    Well it was definitely driver related though I haven't take the time to narrow down which specific driver caused the issue. But I think it was likely the RAID controller driver/software as there is not a Win8 installation for it yet so I had to use the Win7 one.

So now with that issue gone I can say that Windows 8 is without a doubt worth the upgrade for me. Pretty much everything about it is better except for a few minor UI issues I dont care for. The start menu thing doesnt bother me and I dont even care enough to install any 3rd party apps to bring it back, I think the one that bothers me the most is the network connection icon in the systray now when you click it just opens a huge banner on the side of the screen from which you can do pretty much nothing (unless you are on wifi I'm assuming it will list different wifi networks). But you can still right click it to quickly get to Network and Sharing Center.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I am running Windows 8 on my laptop and I guess it is ok. Once you get use to the changes, it is still windows. The search feature drives me up a wall though. When I type in Windows Update, it should show it, not require me to change to the "Settings" tab to see it. Else, all is well. I had lock ups on mine until I updated my video card driver manually.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I run pokki for my desktop and besides that have never had an issue.