Options

Strange MAC address problem

suzyqssuzyqs Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I have Verizon DSL with a linksys wired router and fugitsu modem, running Win XP Pro. My DH plays games online hooking up through the router, he's beta testing a game through Sony. Today Internet goes out while he's playing. Rebooting everything didn't fix connection so called Verizon. End up being transferred to third tier tech support (whatever that is), this guy says that my MAC address has been reset to a Sony MAC address. He thinks it's because we are hooking up the PS2 directly to the modem. PS2 is always connected to the router. So he has me enable MAC clone, enter new address, release DHCP, renew DHCP, then disable MAC clone. Fixed the problem. My question is how was my MAC address reset to a Sony address and can I prevent it from happening again?

Hope all that makes sense. Thanks for any responses, been lurking here awhile and learning alot. Preparing to take A+ soon.

Comments

• Options
    NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
    For the longest time, there was a problem with the way several console gaming systems, and a specific version of Macintosh computers made DHCP requests. I dont recall the specifics, but from what I remember, the lease times got all jacked up and the DHCP server would not grant the connected MAC an IP. There were several ways to get around this. One was to spoof your MAC, like your rep did. Im not sure if this is still an issue, I left the call center over a year ago.

That would only happen if you were directly connected to the modem, that is probably what he was referring to. If you werent connected directly, not sure what the deal is :P