Options

DHCP Windows server 2008

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
In real life, is DHCP configured on Windows server?

Comments

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes .
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Wait so not on a router?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    In most environments I've been in, routers have been used as DHCP relays, but not as primary DHCP servers. The reason has always been that an OS-based DHCP server gives you more control and generally lets you get a better view of what's happening with your scope. Seeing as how Windows Server, for example, lets you put DHCP, DNS, AD Users and Computers, GPOs, etc., in one MMC for easy access, it's little wonder why it'd be so popular to do it this way.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    On our network, the end user workstations pull their DHCP leases from a windows server. The Cisco VOIP phones however pull their DHCP leases from the local routers. The routers do have helper addresses configured to direct the workstations to the proper DHCP server back at corporate too.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    ok, but windows server is not used as a router in real life, right?
  • Options
    Heh, I have yet to see that. Microsoft touts Windows Server as having the capability of doing so, and there are plenty of Linux users who swear up and down that they can build a box that'll be more efficient than anything Cisco or Juniper sells, but companies and individuals tend to buy routers made by network equipment companies, not software companies.

• Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    There are ways to make a Windows server act as a makeshift router, but no, typically that task should be left to a dedicated device.
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Heh, I have yet to see that. Microsoft touts Windows Server as having the capability of doing so, and there are plenty of Linux users who swear up and down that they can build a box that'll be more efficient than anything Cisco or Juniper sells, but companies and individuals tend to buy routers made by network equipment companies, not software companies.
    Of course, those network equipment companies might be running FreeBSD under the hood anyway, like Citrix and Juniper.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Indeed, some companies' software is based on FreeBSD, Linux, etc., but it's not just an off-the-shelf server with a standard install, is the point. Juniper, Cisco, SonicWall, Palo Alto Networks, Barracuda Networks, and others, design their equipment with networking in mind. I'd be very skeptical of anyone who tells you they can build something more efficient than any of those companies, out of their garage or work-lab, without the same multi-million-dollar research teams and resources behind them.

• Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    sizeon wrote: »
    ok, but windows server is not used as a router in real life, right?

At one time, in a serious pinch, yeah for a little while... but generally no.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In a large enterprise environment it would be for layered security that you wouldn't have dhcp on a gateway device. One less attack vector etc etc.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Heh, I have yet to see that. Microsoft touts Windows Server as having the capability of doing so
    Actually, since 2008, Microsoft removed OSPF support and explicitly states in MS Press training material that they realized large-scale software routing was not a customer requirement and as such is not longer supported. Microsoft is not pushing Windows Server as being a capable routing platform.

To the original question, no, Windows routers are extremely uncommon in production. Since RIP, static routing, and third-party software are the only options, large-scale Windows server routing is essentially non-existent. Really, non-hardware solutions in general are very rare in production.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    Everywhere I worked in Windows environments, yes DHCP was based from windows.

Personally I find it does a perfectly fine job.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    rchaserchase Member Posts: 126
    @CodeBlox

Interesting that youve got VoIP router pools but workstation windows scopes. In my lab environment last week I set up a Windows SBS 2011 server to perform DNS for my CUCM cluster and AD synchronization and figured I might as throw in DHCP as well. I went to configure option 150 (TFTP server IP address), and it was missing. Option 66 (DNS name of TFTP server lookup) was available so I used it instead but was dismayed that I could only have 1 option 66 (no backup TFTP servers could be configured) and that it was DNS reliant .... Is this just a limitation of SBS? Seems odd .. I used SBS because Im more familar with it, certified in it, but I should probably install the full 2008 r2
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nope, it works just fine. Windows just has a limited set of pre-defined options but you can easily create new ones.

Simply right-click IPv4 / Add Predefined Options

o0xvyp.jpg

And hit "Add" to add your option 150

3536ww6.jpg
    (Data Type would be "IP Address")
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    rchaserchase Member Posts: 126
    @jibbajabba

THANK YOU

I thought it would be an odd thing to limit in SBS ...
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find the main reason for using a windows (or Linux) bases DHCP server is it allows you easy central address management. And allows you to push day to day operation tasks to the ops team where there might not be a in depth understanding of routers .

I have been trying to get the IPAM running in server 2012, which ties DHCP and DNS management together, doesn't have the feature sets of the big boys bu for a medium size organisation it looks like a nice solution.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^^ That and Reservations are just a mouseclick away

@rchase : You're welcome ;)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    one thing to be wary of in windows DHCP is that reservation names will get over written by the hostname when an address is leased. they are just place holder names. if you need to remember the name then add it in the description field.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    one thing to be wary of in windows DHCP is that reservation names will get over written by the hostname when an address is leased. they are just place holder names. if you need to remember the name then add it in the description field.

It is also less than friendly if you should have some sort of IP address conflict. Seeing BAD_ADDRESS has ruined my day more than once.
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    It is also less than friendly if you should have some sort of IP address conflict. Seeing BAD_ADDRESS has ruined my day more than once.

All this is telling you is that an IP address in its scope, is already in use on the network. its just saying it knows the address is in user and will no longer try to lease it to a client. This is much better than not checking an going ahead to lease the address and cause multiply address being in use surely.
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    All this is telling you is that an IP address in its scope, is already in use on the network. its just saying it knows the address is in user and will no longer try to lease it to a client. This is much better than not checking an going ahead to lease the address and cause multiply address being in use surely.

True, but it overwrites the MAC and Host Name which can make it harder than it should be to restore your configuration. It can also get out of sync when trying to update/delete records and throw some truly useless error messages. I am not saying to is a POS, but there are days I curse it.
    What next, what next...