Starting Security+ and need a good book

jryersonjryerson Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm about to start studying for this test and would like to know what the best books are. If you have any suggestions of good books I'd like to hear them.

I figure this test to be a good starting point. After this I plan on getting my CISSP or maybe a checkpoint cert.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Sybex has sent me a copy of their Security+ study guide for reviewing, and although I'm quite sure not anyone can pass the exam by just reading this book (you will need additional reading or other products) it is definitely a great start and perhaps even the best available.

Also be sure to download the free pdf at www.alphageekproductions.com or buy their full pdf for a scratch, I've heard some very good things about it.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agrees with webmaster on both of those. I would also include the Microsoft Press Security+ book mainly because even though it does not cover many of the objectives it does cover the ones that have the greatest percentages, plus MS had a guy on the Security+ advisory group (I do wonder if he actually runs it .. lol).

I would also highly recommend the CBT Nuggets for Security+.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Just so you know jryerson, you have to have a minimum of 4 years of security related job experience to even be allowed to take CISSP. If you have that, then more power to you. If not, you might want to consider something along the lines of MCSE with an emphasis on security or even take (ISC)^3 SSCP instead which only needs 1 year of relevant experience.
  • jryersonjryerson Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cheeblie wrote:
    Just so you know jryerson, you have to have a minimum of 4 years of security related job experience to even be allowed to take CISSP. If you have that, then more power to you. If not, you might want to consider something along the lines of MCSE with an emphasis on security or even take (ISC)^3 SSCP instead which only needs 1 year of relevant experience.

Thanks for the info cheeblie. I'm in-charge of all aspects of my network so I wonder if that counts towards the security related job. I don't do strictly security and I don't have a title suck as "security administrator, security analyst, or security engineer" but I do manage and administer all our cisco and checkpoint equipment.

As far as MCSE I'm really not interested in doing that. I would rather get security certs and maybe cisco and/or Unix certs.

Anyway guys, thanks for the input.