Options

UTM or Firewall

waelschwaelsch Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I know what the UTM and firewall used for but I have a question
we are planning for our Head office we are about 250 we will connect 2 branches as VPN site-to-site and 1 as Leased line
the total number in branches is about 200 max.
is it better to place two UTM devices (for redundancy) at the edge network Fortinet 200B or 111C or to have two Cisco ASA 5510 or 5520 and one UTM to do web filtering,antivirus, proxy ,IPS
our requirments are
Firewall
VPN client
VPN site-to-site
Antivirus
proxy
IPS
web filtering and application control
Thanks and Regards,

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd go with 2 clustered UTMs. Besides anything else your management headaches will be reduced. Whoever was operating the devices would have to maintain parallel skillsets and troubleshoot 2 different OS' for one related issue, perhaps more importantly if you had to call the vendor TAC each would blame the other once they knew there was a competitor inline.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you considered Palo Alto Networks?
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Our experiences with PAN products have been pretty bad. We paid a lot of money to get something that, IMHO, works worse than Watchguard.
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    For a smaller site like that I would seriously consider an Untangle UTM appliance, it does everything you need and it works really well.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd go for clustered UTMs as well. If you are thinking Fortigate, feel free to PM me, I work with a Fortinet Partner and might be able to help with some recommendations.