Cert Recommendations?

pgriffin7pgriffin7 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Looking for a little feedback here please: 10+ yrs experience in the IT field (Sysadmin, Exchange, Networking) and just got a DOD Remediation Analyst position. I really enjoy Security and am glad that I am getting into the field but I could use some advice as to the next cert after S+. CISSP seems like a mgmt cert which is good but not really what I want at this point. Should I get SSCP and maybe CCNA and/or M$ cert? The SANS certs look great but no way can I afford them on my own; kids and all you know icon_wink.gif...

Thanks for any help very much...

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're looking for something more technical, CCNA: Security would fit the bill; that being said you'll need to pass the CCNA first.

Regarding SANS: If you're interested you should check out the Work/Study program. You essentially work the event for SANS and attend the conference at an 80% discount, leaving a fee of $850. This also includes an exam challenge.

Regarding other security certs: SSCP, OSCP, C|EH, etc. I'll leave that to other posters here.
  • pgriffin7pgriffin7 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    YFZblu wrote: »
    If you're looking for something more technical, CCNA: Security would fit the bill; that being said you'll need to pass the CCNA first.

Regarding SANS: If you're interested you should check out the Work/Study program. You essentially work the event for SANS and attend the conference at an 80% discount, leaving a fee of $850. This also includes an exam challenge.

Regarding other security certs: SSCP, OSCP, C|EH, etc. I'll leave that to other posters here.

Thanks YFZblu - I have some CCNA materials and it doesn't look too far beyond what I know right now except for the finer details of RIP, EIGRP etc.
  • CISPhDCISPhD Member Posts: 114
    Regarding the CISSP cert being a management cert... It can certainly be used as such, but quite frankly the degree of technical understanding in a wide array of areas certainly makes it the GOLD standard for certs in the information security world for either the techy or manager. I'm pursuing it myself to work as a technically informed manager, but certainly every sec engineer on my team has this cert secured under their belt. I'd also suggest the SANS or GIAC certs. While a bit pricey, they are worth it. Chalk up what YFZblu said, around working the event and getting the discount, and you've suddenly got yourself some affordable training/testing circumstances. Furthermore, there are plenty of "certification scholarships" out there that you can apply for. Run a google search to find that stuff. Finally, you can look at other certs such as the C|EH or or else, but they don't carry quite what one would hope in the way of "Security swag".

TL;DR: Get CISSP, SANS, GIAC, and CCNP:Sec
  • pgriffin7pgriffin7 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CISPhD wrote: »
    Regarding the CISSP cert being a management cert... It can certainly be used as such, but quite frankly the degree of technical understanding in a wide array of areas certainly makes it the GOLD standard for certs in the information security world for either the techy or manager. I'm pursuing it myself to work as a technically informed manager, but certainly every sec engineer on my team has this cert secured under their belt. I'd also suggest the SANS or GIAC certs. While a bit pricey, they are worth it. Chalk up what YFZblu said, around working the event and getting the discount, and you've suddenly got yourself some affordable training/testing circumstances. Furthermore, there are plenty of "certification scholarships" out there that you can apply for. Run a google search to find that stuff. Finally, you can look at other certs such as the C|EH or or else, but they don't carry quite what one would hope in the way of "Security swag".

TL;DR: Get CISSP, SANS, GIAC, and CCNP:Sec

Great info thank you; I'll look into CISSP and see about working an event or two!