Options

Thinking of building Home lab in near future for CCNP

goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
At this time in my studies I don't see a need because I am studying CCNA Exploration. Packet Tracer seems to be doing everything I need right now.
MY question is How does one keep up with latest info? I hear Cisco is working on a 15.0 IOS..

I looked over the post in the CCNA FAQ, but most of the info is preety old.

I wouldn't want to buy a bundle or router that wasn't upgradedable to latest IOS>
Would Like to learn as much as possible about these routers and Swicthes so I can be a better infomed buyer.
I fear buying electronics from Ebay icon_surprised.gif. I like buying my stuff new.
The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs

Comments

• Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    I hope you know how much new routers/switches cost for ccnp level lab...
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    I wouldn't want to buy a bundle or router that wasn't upgradedable to latest IOS>
    Would Like to learn as much as possible about these routers and Swicthes so I can be a better informed buyer.
    I fear buying electronics from Ebay icon_surprised.gif. I like buying my stuff new.

Once you see the prices of new vs used you will change your mind lol, i've been buying routers and switches for the last few months off ebay and finding retired routers and switches around my work place. It takes time, and money to build a lab and most including myself recommend buying piece by piece. You can also just load the lastest IOS in GNS 3 if you just want to learn any new commands.
  • Options
    Didn't realize they were that expensive new. Will revisit this topic when I earn my CCNA.

I guest I will read the faq to figure out how to hook it up.
    thanks for the advice..
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The info in the FAQ may be old date wise, but the equipment needed for the CCNA/P is still valid. 1721s and 2600XMs are still fine. 1721s are the cheapest method for routers, although some don't like the form factor. I recommend physical hardware for newbies to networking before GNS3 just so they get the joy of purchasing the right parts, getting the right amount of DRAM for their IOS version, using the right cables for their frame relay or inter-switch links, etc. That may not be a test question, but when you're at work and your boss will get pissed if you order something only to find out you got the wrong RAM, SFPs or very expensive OM3 cables, you'll understand. :)

Once you get past that, you can sell your lab for 80% or more of what you paid for it (look at the purchase as a temporary rental), then sink that money back into 3550 or 3560 switches, a nice server, quad nics and GNS3.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Last Question..If I decide to build a CCNP Lab, I am assuming I can use it for my current CCNA Studies ?
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Last Question..If I decide to build a CCNP Lab, I am assuming I can use it for my current CCNA Studies ?
    Why wouldn't you.... the only difference between a CCNA lab and a CCNP lab is that the CCNP one will have L3 switches.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have my apprentice at work learning on my CCIE rack. :)
    You can learn everything you need to with higher end equipment. There's nothing that says you can't use 3550s in a CCNA lab instead of 2950s. And that gives you a little more routing if you're bored and want to work over some more complex scenarios.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%