Options

Question about inhouse exchange

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
Why would someone invest in a inhouse exchange rather than a hosted solution if hosted is much cheaper?

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Probably for the same reason a company wouldnt keep their data in the "cloud".
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    It is often not that much cheaper anymore. If you have to buy the hardware and windows + exchange licensing then it could be unwise. Most of us have some sort of Virtualization, already run Windows Server, and already invested in MS Office. Plus, there are other considerations you have to keep in mind. For example, I send 10,000 emails a day to one [comcast] host alone from a line of business application. I can't send that through the cloud, so if I am using Office 365 in this environment, I would still have to keep an active onsite SMTP server. When I worked with brokers who had 30GB mailboxes and who regularly emailed attachments 20-25 MB to five or six people, onsite makes a lot of sense.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Because of the sensitive data. I don't believe that badly managed Exchange is any better than cloud-based e-mail, but still.