Options

JNCIA Test compared to CCNA Test

Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
Hello all!
I have a few certs from various entities including Cisco and have been looking into the JNCIA. Without putting you already certified JNCIA's in a vunerable position Id love to hear your opinions on the tests difficulty and format compared to the CCNA.

Was it mostly Juniper Command syntax? Was it mostly networking theory? OSI, TCP/IP, VLSM, etc ? Or a healthy amount of both?

Are there labs on this exam like Cisco exams have?

If you have a JNCIA and CCNA, which was the harder test to take?
Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    We can't really tell you what was on the exam, but I thought it represented all of the exam topics pretty well.

There are no labs, just multiple choice as stated on Juniper's website.

CCNA is a vastly more difficult exam IMO. If you can pass the CCNA then all you really need to do is brush up on the Juniper specifics. Read the two PDFs on the Fasttrack and you should be good to go.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree that the CCNA was a lot more difficult. I felt like the material/topics on the JNCIA-Junos didn't necessarily go into WHY things work but more of HOW to configure it. I feel that's the biggest difference in the topics/material from the two. The CCNA demands an understanding of the protocols where I felt that the JNCIA-Junos expected that you already knew that and just wanted to configure it on the Juniper device.

Again, I'm discussing the topics not the exam itself. I took a 5 day workshop which covered JNCIA-Junos and JNCIS-Sec... both of which I was able to take within a month or so after the classes. The CCNA.... big difference. I don't think I could have taken a 5 day workshop and understood everything I needed.

But then again, it all depends on which one you start with. Going into the JNCIA if you already understand the protocols maybe it just makes it easier? Not sure, because I wasn't new to networking when I took the exam. Either way, the JNCIA is straight forward :)
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Thanks for all your input! I took the JNCIA and passed :)
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU