Options

Cabling is killing me.

gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
As I told you days ago I just started with this new job my first IT-Networking job.

So I have a new task I must arrange the racks cables for an office.

The rack its a small one, we have 1 Router ,1 Switch ,2 ASA , 1 DVR , and 10 end devices (PC , Telephones).

Now I Need to disconnect everything to fix the cables because they have a big mess in that small place .Its like this.

http://www.3d-cases.co.uk/installation-rack/install-rack-images/wall-mount-install-rack.jpg

Small and cluttered.

So what advice you could give before I start with this task.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    esswokesswok Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    take lots of photos

use some markers on some of the wires, I use some tape, but not real sticky, and remove asap so not to make a sticky mess. Write on the tape while it is on the roll then tear it off.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    As I told you days ago I just started with this new job my first IT-Networking job.

So I have a new task I must arrange the racks cables for an office.

The rack its a small one, we have 1 Router ,1 Switch ,2 ASA , 1 DVR , and 10 end devices (PC , Telephones).

Now I Need to disconnect everything to fix the cables because they have a big mess in that small place .Its like this.

http://www.3d-cases.co.uk/installation-rack/install-rack-images/wall-mount-install-rack.jpg

Small and cluttered.

So what advice you could give before I start with this task.

Thank you.

#1 - Get cables that are the appropriate length.
    #2 - Get snagless cables; I am not a fan of the full boots, I like this style: http://www.belkin.com/images/product/A3L980-XX-S/372.jpg
    #3 - Velcro! Velcro is the duct-tape of cabling. You can get the pre-made straps, but I prefer 75' spools (1/2" wide or less) so I can cut my own.
    #4 - Label what you can, especially on items that don't change much like router and firewalls.

If you can't get all of this and you need to work with what is there, then use twist-ties, cables of the same length and try to work in sections. By that I mean if there are several runs from a patch panel to the switch you gather them together, Velcro or twist tie them so they move as one bundle and then route them as needed.

Proper cabling is as much an art as it is a science; practice is required.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why do you need to fix it?

Is this just OCD, or are you doing some type of deployment?

If it works, don't mess with it. You may break it. If it's not needed, don't pull things out and change things around willy nilly. Make sure you document everything, backup configurations, pictures. Make sure you planned the distances if you're running wire.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Why do you need to fix it?

Is this just OCD, or are you doing some type of deployment?

If it works, don't mess with it. You may break it. If it's not needed, don't pull things out and change things around willy nilly. Make sure you document everything, backup configurations, pictures. Make sure you planned the distances if you're running wire.

My boss , they will add new equipment for example the ASA1 has only 1 more port available so we are going to connect a switch there to allow more users.

And things like this.

I dont want to touch it because of my lack of experience but is not an option here.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Only way to get experience is to do it.

My experience is that if you don't label things, you won't remember it by the time everything is through.
    I've also learned Poo can fly so I backup everything before I touch anything. It's nice to not need the fall-back plan and have it. It's not a good day if you don't have it and need it.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    I like data cabling company, we pull cables for about 200-300PC a day in a big project. In my opinion, get a label stickers, put the device name, and stick it to the cable. Take out all the cables, separate them up to the entrance of the the rack. outside of the rack, organize them, put them in bundles. Like 5-10 cables going together. Then, bundle by bundle, start putting them back on. You can use zip tie or Velcro(you still need to use zip first tie to make cables tight and nice). It should look like this, but with less cable in your situation.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    label the cables as you remove them from the device in the cabinet. Use masking tape and a sharpie to label the device and port they are attached to so that you will know where they came from.

Pull the cables out of the cabinet

Then run the cables according to the device they are running to. Run the cables for one device at a time.

You can re-terminate the cables to the proper length or coil the excess cable at the top of the cabinet. Unless the cables are coming from a patch panel you would have to re-run all the cables back to their endpoints.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD