Options

Help a beginner...

SamcroSamcro Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Just a few questions....

I'm looking to start a new career and get into Networking and doing some Cisco courses.

With no prior experience should I do Ccent before ccna? Also with no prior jobs in I.t would I be able to get an entry level job with these qualifications?

I'm late 20's in the uk.

Also, are the courses I keep seeing where you pay a load of money any good, or is it more sensible to just buy some books, watch YouTube vids and lean at home?

Any other tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With no prior experience, I would say go CompTIA, get some foundational knowledge first. After you've mastered A+, Network+, I'd say go for CCENT, then CCNA. A+ Because you'll probably find yourself fixing a computer, server, or the like hardware wise. You don't need the certs, but I would know the material.

I say this because you'll need to start off at the low-end of the totem pole - which is fine. Some of the courses are good. CBTnuggets is a hit-or-miss video course. You can get their 24-hour cram session for pretty darn cheap. I wouldn't pay their thousands dollars they want, however. You'll find a lot of people going for the same things; you'll find a lot of free resources.

I took Cisco Academy when I was High School - That's when I started with my Network+ and A+ certs. I didn't pass my CCNA and didn't have the money to retest... so fast forward 9 years, I had to relearn everything about cisco and retest. See my signature for Self-studying and other ways for CCNA.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I say go the INCD1 than the INCD2 path. There is no need for you to get any of the CompTIA certifications. They will not help you get a Network Engineering job.
  • Options
    SamcroSamcro Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I geuss then I just to know where to start to get qualified enough to apply for an entry position job. I'm more than happy to start at the bottom and build up.