Options

media converter ?

xjxxjx Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I read the book about what it does , but what device is media converter ? is Hub a media converter ? the cram book says "transceiver converts one media type to another, such as UTP to fiber", but when I take a practice test somewhere else, it says wrong answer for transceiver. now I am confused , please help icon_redface.gif

Comments

• Options
    gabilangabilan Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Remember always tha for the Net+ you have to choose the best answer. Media converters DSU and Modem.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Media converters, as listed in the Network+ 2005 objectives, refers to transceivers that you can use to, for example, connect a fiber optic link to an FastEthernet NIC. 'Media' is the type of cabling (in wireless networks the ether is the media), so a media converter converts signals between two different cable types.
    - Transceivers (media converters)

You can see an example of an Ethernet transceiver in our CCNA hardware lab:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/techlabs/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml
  • Options
    xjxxjx Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    Media converters, as listed in the Network+ 2005 objectives, refers to transceivers that you can use to, for example, connect a fiber optic link to an FastEthernet NIC. 'Media' is the type of cabling (in wireless networks the ether is the media), so a media converter converts signals between two different cable types.
    - Transceivers (media converters)

You can see an example of an Ethernet transceiver in our CCNA hardware lab:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/techlabs/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml

you mean transceivers=media converters in 2005 objectives ?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    the cram book says "transceiver converts one media type to another, such as UTP to fiber",
    you mean transceivers=media converters in 2005 objectives ?
    In real life too...

That does not mean a router cannot convert between two different media types. I.e. a router can have a 100BaseTX FastEthernet interface and an ISDN interface.