Options

Network Academy - CCENT

xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□

Quick question on labbing for the CCENT (ICND1) using the labs provided from Cisco Network Academy. Not sure which sections are strictly for the CCENT. Study with CCNA Exploration.> Network Fundamentals> Routing Protocols & Concepts The two above sections are the only sections I need to lab from for the CCENT am I right? The next two sessions "LAN Switching & Wireless" and "Accessing the WAN" are for the CCNA (ICND2) Exam? The labs in Network Fundamentals are VERY simple straightforward, but I guess I will mainly be working with Routing Protocols and Concepts Labs for the exam? Just want to confirm, need to get some good packet tracer practice in for CCENT. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The labs tend to hold your hand going through them. Which is fine, you're learning. But beyond the learning to the fine-tuning, you'll need to think of ideas... stretch your imagination and try different combinations of what you know.

Wireless is included in ICND1.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4987
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    xkaijinx wrote: »

Quick question on labbing for the CCENT (ICND1) using the labs provided from Cisco Network Academy. Not sure which sections are strictly for the CCENT.Study with CCNA Exploration.> Network Fundamentals> Routing Protocols & Concepts The two above sections are the only sections I need to lab from for the CCENT am I right? The next two sessions "LAN Switching & Wireless" and "Accessing the WAN" are for the CCNA (ICND2) Exam?The labs in Network Fundamentals are VERY simple straightforward, but I guess I will mainly be working with Routing Protocols and Concepts Labs for the exam?Just want to confirm, need to get some good packet tracer practice in for CCENT. Thanks

Just took Cisco IV Exploration. I realized how easy it is and how much of a waste a class was because you don't need an instructor who is just going to waste your time unless he/she makes you work and inspires your interest somehow.(which mine was more interested in the next pro football game)

To answer your question, you only need to know RIP and RIP V2 as far as "Routing Protocols" go and not even STP. You only need to know how a point to point serial WAN works so you do not need Accessing the WAN at all for ICND1 with the exception of DHCP and VLANs which for some reason Cisco put in Cisco IV and is almost a complete waste as far as ICND1 goes. So only labs you want to run are for basic CLI troubleshooting(how to find information), RIP V1&V2. To me, it's just a step up from Network + but not all the boring stuff of ICND2.

After taking Cisco IV, I realized that the "cisco curriculum" is all fluff and labs are a waste unless you are such an extreme noob. What they(we) need is a class using the certification books but you can supposedly DIY which is why I am here. pshh haha
  • Options
    You get what you put into it.

It's easy because you've put the work to understand it, and not the football games.

My old cisco instructor was.. bleh. It's one of the reasons why I didn't care for bootcamps. Less about trying to explain to me and the students and more into pushing information in my general vicinity.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    You get what you put into it.

It's easy because you've put the work to understand it, and not the football games.

My old cisco instructor was.. bleh. It's one of the reasons why I didn't care for bootcamps. Less about trying to explain to me and the students and more into pushing information in my general vicinity.

The funny thing is the hapless students went diving in, hook line and sinker into plodding on the path of least resistance. The first time anyone goes through any process, they just want to not take it seriously or show care for something with so much potential and its not the students I am talking about but rather the end result of certification.

Actually a bootcamp forces you to retain a LOT more information especially if it is not your first carnival with the material.
  • Options
    I've seen a lot of people come here expecting Bootcamps to get them from Zero to Certified. It's why I don't normally say "Go for bootcamps." Yes, CCIE candidates get a lot of value of the Bootcamps. I suspect most of those students have gone through the material more than once, understand the work behind it, and half resonable expectations. Different type of students.

I was one of those hapless students, played counter-strike, doom, or anything else except studying! To save face, which I didn't realize then, a lot of the "material" he pushed was the kind that'll get certs stripped from people. I guess to boost performance ratings or something *shrugs*.

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of people come here expecting Bootcamps to get them from Zero to Certified. It's why I don't normally say "Go for bootcamps." Yes, CCIE candidates get a lot of value of the Bootcamps. I suspect most of those students have gone through the material more than once, understand the work behind it, and half resonable expectations. Different type of students.

I was one of those hapless students, played counter-strike, doom, or anything else except studying! To save face, which I didn't realize then, a lot of the "material" he pushed was the kind that'll get certs stripped from people. I guess to boost performance ratings or something *shrugs*.

No accountability. And no this was not a bootcamp but a 9 week elongated.
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Don't forget about Frame Relay. You mentioned Point to Point serial, but you also need to know the basics on Frame Relay as well.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    sadly the cisco network academy courses are just a flow of subjects
    its not like this is for ccent, this for ccna

You need to get the objectives from the cisco website and map them to the exploration curriculum
    all 4 parts of the exploration have something for ccent (1st one is completely ccent)
    meh
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    sadly the cisco network academy courses are just a flow of subjects
    its not like this is for ccent, this for ccna

You need to get the objectives from the cisco website and map them to the exploration curriculum
    all 4 parts of the exploration have something for ccent (1st one is completely ccent)

Thats part of the reason I recommend the single test; then again I really enjoyed the networking academys for both the CCNA and CCNP. So YMMV
  • Options
    xXErebuS wrote: »
    Thats part of the reason I recommend the single test; then again I really enjoyed the networking academys for both the CCNA and CCNP. So YMMV

After taking the Academy in 2003 and a Cisco IV that just finished up last week, I can tell you that timing and the scope of the Cisco IV details are your only challenge with taking the composite versus the two part exam. I think too much has been made about how the timing will get you on the composite and it is too much information. I actually discovered this and this only very important factoid and that is per the above, 95% of the ICND1 is from Cisco I-III and so how hard can the material from one Cisco IV class be if that is all that remains to take ICND2 or better yet, the composite exam. Then, the speed at which you can recall details is all that remains! Needless to say, the two part exam still maintains feasibility largely due to price and predictabilty for success in terms of information management but it is not like it is hopeless to take the composite...
  • Options
    xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So it sounds like I need to go through each lab topic and match it up with an exam topic to make sure I get what I need. That approach sounds ok, but I could possibly miss something or Cisco does not focus entirely to much on a certain scenario whereas it should when I encounter it on the CCENT?

In that case, I was thinking about shelling out the $99 and buying Boson Labs for the CCENT? What do you guys think?