Options

Routing Inter VLAN Problem!

mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello guys, I'm starting a point now, if we using a router to a vlan actually there is a purpose, they need hosts that's why router needs to them indeed but check it out like this,

Router - Switch - 3 PC's

Router Connect to switch Fa0/0 to Fa0/1 Switch port
Between router and switch there is a trunk link, Right,

There is a two vlan in the switch such as Vlan 2 and Vlan 3
Probably Router needs to transfer the files to vlan 3?

How to do that?icon_rolleyes.gif

After i read the CCNA 7th edition i got to know probably needs to create a sub interface and have to apple the default gateway to the PC,

These are the my Questions?
  1. If there are 3 switches still router needs or nor?
  2. Some how if there is 3 switches on a Network, How much VTP needs to a network? A. In my opinion there should to be a switch Server mode, but i have a small doubt on that do we apple the VTP Domain to the Switch server or need any another switches...
  3. Give me a clear explain for "Why using Router for VLAN" ?
[2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
+ Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
+ Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)

Comments

• Options
    TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    I'm struggling with your english but I think I get what you are saying.

Each 'vlan' represents a separate network. There is no way to get a message from a host on vlan2 to a host on vlan3. The packets need to be routed. This is where you need the router. The router can belong to multiple separate networks and route packets between them.

VTP is protocol used to convey vlan information over trunk links. It allows you to create a vlan in one place and have it replicated in the other devices in the vtp domain.

As for setting this up, Your router will need to support 'router-on-a-stick' configuration. Google for it and you'll find plenty of info.
  • Options
    mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm, Yeah i knew that router-on-a-stick that i was learned in Todd Lammle Guide, Yeah! Now i understood properly, So every packet should be routed for get the separate network right :)
    [2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
    + Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
    I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
    + Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes. Your packet will go through the switches, trunked to the router's sub interface 1, routed to sub int 2, and back out the same port as sub int 2, onto the other vlan.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams