Options

VTP Mode = Client accepts updates?!

j4rt02j4rt02 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
If I understand this right:

VTP Mode Client will not send VTP advertisements for changes locally, UNLESS it is first joined to a new domain AND has a higher revision number?

So, to add further to the higher database revision problems, it breaks the rules when it first joins a new VTP domain?

Comments

• Options
    Here is a video that shows what I am talking about: Cisco Systems Inc. - VLAN Trunk Protocol
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, don't add a VTP client to the network until you've cleared the revision number. Bad news.
  • Options
    This concept really tripped me up until I figured that out. Seriously, why did they make the once exception to the roles of server / client be so potentially harmful?
  • Options
    My advice is to just not even use it unless you've got some good people on your team. Rookies will screw it up even if they know about the theory. Everyone makes mistakes, and rookies make them often.
  • Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    In big networks how else could you guard against such mess ups, set one server as transparent, manually back up the vlan.dat file?
  • Options
    NewInBussinesNewInBussines Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A device set in transparent mode allow vtp updates to pass, so no, the advice is to have multiple devices set as servers and reset revision number to zero on any device you add on the network by changing the domain name.
    Hope I was clear.

Thanks
  • Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    I already know what transparent mode does. Now, if you had a current server and you converted it to transparent mode, and if someone accidentally introduced a device with a higher revision and messed up your vlans it would not affect the transparent device, is this not a valid way to safe guard your vlans?
  • Options
    Just run them in transparent mode unless you have a real good reason not to.