Options

Need some expert advice

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
Ok so I just found this forum and it has a lot of information and I find it useful. I just have a question that maybe some of you may be able to help with. I am currently the IT guy for my brothers n law business. He has 4-8 computers at one time. I set up all his system and manage it with server 2008r2. When I set it up I had just set it up on my own knowledge and new nothing about GPOs and how Active Directory worked. I also work full time at another job and when an opportunity in that company arose for an IT position i applied for it. Ultimately I did not get the job but it made me realize that everything I though i knew was nothing. I had to learn Server and since then have passed my Comptia A+ certification and am working towards my MCITP EA certification and have just passed my first test(70-640). I am also going to an online school for my Associates in Computer Info. And Technology. I see all this mention of WGU and want to hear your recommendations about it, and if I should go to it or just stay on my current path.
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    My advice is if you are already doing an online school for an Associates to make the move to WGU and get a Bachelor's.

At the end of the day, you just need to dive into the threads here and elsewhere and read about people's experiences at WGU and determine if it sounds like it's a good fit for you.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    That is what I was thinking but how does it work. I was reading some info on it and it is self study, but how do the payments to get the degree work, and is it an actual bachelors degree or bachelors certificate? And does it have financial aid, as that is how i pay my school right now and then just get loans for whatever is not covered. And I have completed 34 credits with my current college and in 2 weeks I will be done with my next set which would leave me with 40 credits completed. Thanks.
  • Options
    Spend some time and read the website...

I will say this, if you aren't the self-motivated type of person that isn't interested in finding his own answers, WGU will probably not be a good fit. I'm coming across as a jerk here because in less than a few minutes you could've actually read the website and had some answers versus posting here asking them.
  • Options
    kgb wrote: »
    Spend some time and read the website...

I will say this, if you aren't the self-motivated type of person that isn't interested in finding his own answers, WGU will probably not be a good fit. I'm coming across as a jerk here because in less than a few minutes you could've actually read the website and had some answers versus posting here asking them.

Yeah I figured that part out. I am still reading some more info on in the threads. I am a self motivated person which is why that school seems like it is better than getting my associates, when I could get my bachelors. Are you currently enrolled there? And which path would you recommend to take. It seems like I am leaning towards Design and Management. I ultimately want to be a Server administrator, and want a path where I can get my MCITP EA since that is what I am currently working for.
  • Options
    I just finished this month. I can't speak of which path to take. I'm a software developer so I went with the Software emphasis.

Maybe some other people can chime in on those specific programs.
  • Options
    I just finished this month. I can't speak of which path to take. I'm a software developer so I went with the Software emphasis.

Maybe some other people can chime in on those specific programs.

Congratulations, how long did it take you to finish and when you started did you transfer any credits?
  • Options
    Thanks.

I transferred in 27 cu's and started May 2012

I did 96cu's in 7 months. It was a very long 7 months. My brain still hurts.
  • Options
    Thanks.

I transferred in 27 cu's and started May 2012

I did 96cu's in 7 months. It was a very long 7 months. My brain still hurts.

WOW!! lol that is phenomenal to do in 7 months. I already requested some info on the WGU site so hopefully someone can call me to get the ball rolling lol. That is great. So to get CU's you basically have to pass a certification test correct? or is is based on that and actual classroom work?
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just registered for 1/1/13 start on the vanilla IT program because i couldnt decide to go down the Software Development track or not.

They are going to ask that you transfer in something from previously schooling but the best bet would be to get your AA and transfer that in so it wipes almost all of the GE requirements without needing to match class for class. Just my opinion mind you.

As mentioned, this isnt like a brick and mortar school where you have lectures/labs/homework/tests ect due on specific days listed in a sylabus. You are going to have to be dedicated to make time every day and work on your class. Dedication to finish in 7 months isnt unheard of but isnt required, only that you complete 12 CU's per term. I have a couple of classes from one JC and my Associated degree from another that i transfered in, see signature. That completed nearly half the classes for the bachelors but what is left is the meat and potatoes of the degree program. I have a personal goal to try and complete the remaining 70ish units in 12 months. My enrollement councilor said i should plan for three though.

Working with my enrollement councilor has been a pleasure as they have answered all my questions and been patient with me as i a dealt with real life between calls.

There isnt a wrong or right answer here though, anything you do to educate yourself is a good thing.
  • Options
    Nemowolf wrote: »
    I just registered for 1/1/13 start on the vanilla IT program because i couldnt decide to go down the Software Development track or not.

They are going to ask that you transfer in something from previously schooling but the best bet would be to get your AA and transfer that in so it wipes almost all of the GE requirements without needing to match class for class. Just my opinion mind you.

As mentioned, this isnt like a brick and mortar school where you have lectures/labs/homework/tests ect due on specific days listed in a sylabus. You are going to have to be dedicated to make time every day and work on your class. Dedication to finish in 7 months isnt unheard of but isnt required, only that you complete 12 CU's per term. I have a couple of classes from one JC and my Associated degree from another that i transfered in, see signature. That completed nearly half the classes for the bachelors but what is left is the meat and potatoes of the degree program. I have a personal goal to try and complete the remaining 70ish units in 12 months. My enrollement councilor said i should plan for three though.

Working with my enrollement councilor has been a pleasure as they have answered all my questions and been patient with me as i a dealt with real life between calls.

There isnt a wrong or right answer here though, anything you do to educate yourself is a good thing.

So are you suggesting that I finish my current school and then start at WGU. I have completed 40 credits have 30 credits left to go to complete and I should be done in September of 2013. I do know its an all dedication school and I know what I have to do to finish this up, im just wondering if I should transfer now and just get my bachelors, or finish my AA and then transfer. I am planning on getting my MCITP EA either way, which is why i was planing to transfer right now since if i go the design and manage route I end up getting that. I already have my A+ and have passed the 70-640 test to start off with.
  • Options
    I wouldn't wait 1yr for the sole reason to transfer more credits. If you know you are going to go for a 4yr degree and it's going to be done at WGU it makes zero sense to me to wait. Now, if you were still thinking about transferring to a traditional 4yr school, then that's different.

You could finish your 4yr degree in that time given the right amount of motivation. Waiting will only cost you more $ and time.
  • Options
    I wouldn't wait 1yr for the sole reason to transfer more credits. If you know you are going to go for a 4yr degree and it's going to be done at WGU it makes zero sense to me to wait. Now, if you were still thinking about transferring to a traditional 4yr school, then that's different.

You could finish your 4yr degree in that time given the right amount of motivation. Waiting will only cost you more $ and time.

Exactly what I was thinking. I want planning on getting my bachelors until I found out about WGU which makes me want to get since its up my alley and my type of study, so I think that is what I am going to do. I am already out 10 dollars for this first year at this other school, and if I put my brain to it I could finish WGU in 1 year, which would cost about 6 grand(correct me if I am wrong) which is almost half of what the associates is right now and only at the halfway mark lol. Just waiting for a referral code so I can get the ball rolling.
  • Options
    PM me your full name and email address and I'll do a referral for you.
  • Options
    PM me your full name and email address and I'll do a referral for you.

Sweet just PMd you my details. Thanks I appreciate. Now im getting anxious to start lol hopefully I can still make the 1/1/2013 start date.