WGU enrollment Q's -Having trouble with Enrollment Counselor and transfer evaluation?

Originally I was going for a November 1st enrollment but family and work obligations came up and I ask the Counselor to change to a Jan. 1st start date. I have completed an AA, some other classes, and certs. All transcripts have been received. I have asked twice for a list of classes I'all need to complete with no response. Is the transfer evaluation only done as part of the actual enrollment? Am I missing something?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    What type of school? B&M or online?

And is it a full university (State school or such), local collage, or a specialty business/school type place?
    Going by the Jan 1st start date? I'm thinking you may not have a university/college type place you are enrolling but the later (a business-type with some degree or training).

Typically, for a college (or at least in my experience) when you submit your transcripts a short time after they tell you what will transfer and the classes you need to take from them...so, pretty straight-forward.

Then again, when I had to transfer credits, I was enrolling. However, my start time was the same as the rest of the university, not the 1st of a month.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    It sounds like you are talking about WGU.

I could be wrong, but from my understanding, they handle and go through the paperwork not necessarily on a first come, first serve. It goes by your start date. So, for this month, they were focusing on those students starting Dec. 1. Not to make excuses, but keep in mind WGU has seen some very fast growth this year and there's going to be issues.

I'm about as impatient as they come, so I know how you feel, you want to know, and you want to know now:)
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
    @kgb,

You are likely correct about the school. The subject line could have indicated this is the case because we have hundreds of members going to or have gone through WGU and they could very quickly provide their experiences to Cisc0Kidd.

If this is about WGU the the subject line can be edited to make this whole thread more meaningful to everyone (those also in a similar situation and those who can best reply like yourself).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    Yes WGU. I believe I asked in the middle of Oct. I've not run into this any where else so I want to figure out if I am being unreasonable.
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I'd keep pinging your enrollment counselor. It is the holiday/vacation season, so I'd give him a few days this week. Then if I heard nothing, I'd call up the main number again and explain to them the situation. You're in the system, so I would think you could easily be transferred to another counselor if required.

I want to also say, don't pre-judge the school on your experiences with enrollment. It's been documented here and all over the internet, that the school definitely can lack in this area. I was fortunate, I had zero issues with mine. I personally think it has to deal with how fast it's grown and the fact it's a non-profit. Excuses...maybe...
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    kgb wrote: »
    I'd keep pinging your enrollment counselor. It is the holiday/vacation season, so I'd give him a few days this week. Then if I heard nothing, I'd call up the main number again and explain to them the situation. You're in the system, so I would think you could easily be transferred to another counselor if required.

I am not as patient as you; I tend to send one email and if I don't get a timely response I move to repeated calls. Repeated calls that become more frequent the longer I have to wait. Of course, I am married to a journalist and I have learned how to make sure my calls get returned quickly. :)
    I want to also say, don't pre-judge the school on your experiences with enrollment. It's been documented here and all over the internet, that the school definitely can lack in this area. I was fortunate, I had zero issues with mine. I personally think it has to deal with how fast it's grown and the fact it's a non-profit. Excuses...maybe...

As I can be quite impatient I have to say I had some issues with my guy, but it wasn't too bad. One thing I did do was call the main number and got to the transcript evaluation department where they can look up your records and tell you what is going on and give you a time frame for the evaluation to be completed.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think kgb is right. My enrollment counselor told me that for a Dec 1 start date they have an unofficial deadline of 11/15, and a hard deadline of 11/22 I believe. They're probably just now starting on January students. I'm also starting on 1/1, and I've got a (intake?) interview scheduled for this Thursday and I'll ask about it. My main things I want answered soon are how much (if any) financial aid I'm getting, and like you, how much previous coursework I'm getting credit for.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    If you are asking about how long it takes for your transcript evaluation like others have said it depends on your start date. I received the WGU has received your transcript from X school on the 14th and I received my evaluation on the 22nd back in June of 2011.

If you are asking when you will receive a list of the classes you will have to take. That will be on you to make a list and cross out which classes are transferred in.

Things may have changed but have you logged into the student portal and see if you have a tab labeled "degree plan"? That would list which classes you have to take.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    call student services
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Cisc0kidd
    call student services

@PurpleIT - that's a lot of transferred credit, my friend - going for a 3 month finish? icon_study.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Title modified to make the subject more meaningful for the members.

Please try to provide concise subject lines so members can more quickly enter into threads they have knowledge about. If the subject is vague, many members just skip the topic which is unfortunate because we have many members with a wealth of knowledge and limited time here.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    arwes wrote: »
    I think kgb is right. My enrollment counselor told me that for a Dec 1 start date they have an unofficial deadline of 11/15, and a hard deadline of 11/22 I believe. They're probably just now starting on January students. I'm also starting on 1/1, and I've got a (intake?) interview scheduled for this Thursday and I'll ask about it. My main things I want answered soon are how much (if any) financial aid I'm getting, and like you, how much previous coursework I'm getting credit for.

My enrollment councilor pushed me to get paperwork into her by the 14th as because of the holidays they moved the deadline up a day. I was supposed to start Dec 1 but because of the push for paperwork and real life i wasnt able to get everything in on time. I have since updated my start date to Jan 1 and my councilor is much less pushy.

I have called the general line and spoke with someone that wasnt my councilor because they were on vacation and i had some questions. They couldnt get into specifics about my file as they don't have access to her notes but they did their best to answer my questions. Otherwise i had no issues what so ever.
    OK, I got a call from my EC after about 4 weeks. He asked if I had any questions about my transfer evaluation?! Like may be where it is ? icon_smile.gif I explained I hadn't received it asked if it would go to mywgu.com or personal email. He wasn't sure. I've checked both without luck. I am just curious, any idea? Thanks.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can either get on your EC and have him contact the evaluator and have them resend the evaluation.
    Or, you can contact student services. I suspect the fact that you switched to a Jan 1 start date played a role. In that case, the transcript evaluators would have bumped you back to be able to work on the Dec 1 start students.
    Understood. When you TE which email did it come to?
  • MataviMatavi Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I originally applied around the start of November trying to get a December start date, but when I found out about the deadlines and some things came up I got it pushed to a January start date. On Nov 26th I got the e-mail stating they received the transcript from my last school, which was late due to a mix up, then the next day on the 27th I got an e-mail sent to both my wgu box and the personal box I used to apply and communicate with my EC that contained a pdf of my transcript evaluation.

So seeing as how you applied earlier and probably got your transcripts in sooner, I see no reason why you shouldn't have been evaluated before me. Hopefully you have a really great EC like mine has been and can get them to contact the transfer evaluators to find out what's wrong or what the hold up is.
    WGU IT - Software
    Start date: 1/1/13
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just double checked by my eval came as an automated email from my enrollement councilor. They should have received it as well. I was told that the evauluation team typically has 3-5 business days, i think, to process your transcripts once they have received them all. I got mine on the morning of the 3 day.
  • KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    My transcript evaluation was sent to both my wgu email address and the email address I used during the enrollment process.
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @PurpleIT - that's a lot of transferred credit, my friend - going for a 3 month finish? icon_study.gif

It probably won't be quite that fast, but I would like to have everything other than the capstone done in 3 months. I am in the middle of a project at work that is perfect for the capstone so I will make sure I keep very good notes and hopefully I can put it all together fairly quickly once the other courses are done.

I plan to start job hunting around March with the intent to move this summer so time is a big issue; it is also why I am in the ND&M program instead of Security (roughly half as many CUs needed).
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...