Options

Should I venture into IT? (Architecture major, been working IT) (cliffs)

TheTastefulOneTheTastefulOne Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
(cliffs at bottom)

So the architecture job market isn't doing too good right now, and some firms are even laying people off. I graduate with my 5 year bachelors in May (2013) and have no had any internship yet. If i don't land an internship within 1-2 months of graduating, I will be looking for an IT job, or any other kind of job (even like Best buy, hopefully Geek squad)

I have been involved with computers since I was a kid, and have built several. I have worked a student IT job on campus for nearly 3 years now. I used to help professors setup equipment (log in, turn on projectors, set up document camera, put in DVD, load flash drive powerpoint, etc), but now I strictly work in the computer lab, helping students, keeping paper/ink stocked, etc.

A few IT guys have told me to get certification with CISCO (probably would do just associate level, or more, depending of difficulty) and then I could get an entry level help desk job making around $15/hr pretty easily since I have a college degree from a major state university. Then of course I would keep looking for an architecture job, unless some interesting paths were to be taken, such as working my way up and eventually earning $50k/year doing IT.

Architects start at around $35k/year in my state, but in this economy it's probably more like $30k.. which is kind of depressing. Many high school graduates earn around that. I took HTML classes in high school but have since forgot most of it.. so I don't speak any computer languages.

So what would you recommend? Thank you for any input.

CLIFFS:

-architecture major, graduating in may, may not get a job (some firms are laying people off)
-been working IT on campus for nearly 3 years now, setting equipment up for professors and working in computer lab
-been told to get CISCO certification and i'd be able to get a help desk job
-I will do this while I continue looking for an architecture job, but will probably want to make it look like i want to do IT instead
-could be 2-3 years before the architecture market opens up again

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Knowing both markets very well, I would definitely say go for IT if you don't mind it. Architects starting here usually start around $35,000 as far as I can tell.

I would suggest starting with CompTIA or Microsoft certifications unless you're specifically trying to get into networking.

Something that you may not have thought about is looking for IT jobs at architecture firms. I'm currently working for one and I know we would have loved to hire someone with the architecture background for our entry level positions. Knowing all the industry programs and being used to other architects would make you a great fit for a position like this and grant you opportunities to go either way. We even have a couple of hybrid positions that are half on the IT side and half architecture.

By the way, What state? -I may be able to forward some connections on to you if you're nearby.
  • Options
    thanks for reply. I'm in Oklahoma so not very close to you. But that sounds like something that's the best of both mediums.. IT job in an architecture firm. However it will definitely have to be a large corporate firm, closest ones are in Dallas, TX, there are a few there. Ones with 30-60 people

I guess is what I need to do is look at what kind of jobs are available in my area, and go off of that.. get certs that will help get me those jobs. I can learn anything technology oriented, but i know languages like C++, Java, HTML,.. they take many months to get down well

edit: so far only opening for network admin in my area is "Experience with EMC SAN technologies."
    http://jobview.monster.com/Storage-Area-Network-Administrator-Job-Central-Oklahoma-City-OK-116412457.aspx
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Will you be happy in IT? There's really no discussion as to which field is growing and likely to provide relatively easy access to well paying jobs, but money isn't everything.

If you'll be happy, then go for it. Starting with Cisco, Comptia, or Microsoft certifications can all be good bets. The most common starting certifications are A+, Network+, CCNA, and MCSA: Windows Server 2008.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Will you be happy in IT? There's really no discussion as to which field is growing and likely to provide relatively easy access to well paying jobs, but money isn't everything.

If you'll be happy, then go for it. Starting with Cisco, Comptia, or Microsoft certifications can all be good bets. The most common starting certifications are A+, Network+, CCNA, and MCSA: Windows Server 2008.

Will I be happy? Yes, i've always enjoyed working with computers.. and I know "money doesnt matter" but I need to be able to sustain myself for several years at least, hopefully making $15+ an hour
    I was actually computer science major my freshman year in college but switched to arch. my second year. Big mistake in terms of job security and salary, I know a couple guys who had 3.5 GPA's (i'm right below that) who graduated with comp sci, got a job instantly, and earn $60-65k/year starting. That's about double what I plan to make

I just looked at "Help desk technician" (entry) level jobs in my area:

Knowledge & Skills:

Good telephone etiquette skills.
    Able to communicate over the phone effectively.
    Strong verbal and written communication skills.
    Able to deal with high stress situations.
    Knowledge of computer and navigating through open applications
    Good organization and problem solving skills.

Experience: 1-2 two years experience in a customer service or related fields.

Help Desk Technician - L1 Technical Support (Secured) Job in Oklahoma City 73101, Oklahoma US

Another: EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:

Minimum of 2 years of experience working in IT Support Services as a help desk provider.​

Desired:
    AA degree in a technical field
    Experience in DoD help desk or IT environment

SKILLS & CERTIFICATIONS:

Proficient with Microsoft Office applications.​
    Proficient with Microsoft Windows 7 operating systems
    Proficient in troubleshooting and resolving problems on Intel based workstations laptops and associated printers.​
    CompTIA Security+​
    Microsoft Windows 7 certification
    Secret Clearance or ability to apply for and gain a secret clearance.​

Desired:
    MCSE certification
    CompTIA Network+​ certification

Help Desk Technician Job in Oklahoma City 73135, Oklahoma US

They sound easy, but i'm not sure if what i've been doing counts as "customer service" experience.
    Only issue is that entry level tech jobs pay $13/hour (so after taxes that's nearly minimum wage), but at least i'd be able to get my foot in the door, get that real IT experience, and work on getting certs. I saw a couple "T-2" level jobs that pay $15/hr.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, architecture is ALWAYS rough, regardless of the economy... that is if you take pride in your work and want to do unique and interesting designs.

I have a grade school friend that became an architect that is considering the move as well, but it is still easier for him to stay put, at this point. For you, since you haven't really gotten into things, it may make since to change now. However, I think that you may be selling yourself short if you give up on it so quickly. I don't think that you will be able to easily get into the field later if you wait so long after graduating.

I wanted to be an architect myself, but I never got to the point of going to school for it... I was offered a web programming job before even starting school. My problem with architecture, as a field is that I am driven by principles and purpose. Give "The Fountainhead" a good read and consider what type of architect you would want to be and then determine if the lifestyle surrounding that is what you want. The book is specifically about characters in architecture, but the principles are the same for any type of work where you use your mind.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro