Options

Please Critique My Resume!

NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
Hello all,

I am in the process of writing my resume in preparation for getting out of the Navy. Please provide me with any feedback you can. I have never written a resume before, so I'm sure you can find plenty of things to critique!

Thank you!
A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
B.S. - Computer & Network Security

Comments

• Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I'd reword the clearance part. Anyone that cares about the clearance already knows what that level of clearance means. It sounds cheesy to me. My 2 cents.

With that said, that's a nice level of clearance and will no doubt help you if you decide to go into the government contract world.

Security Clearance or Clearance:
    Active DoD Top Secret

Is what I would put something like that. It takes up less space as well.

If you play with the format, use tables with some columns you might be able to get it down to 1 page.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I just did a quick scan but I would use a resume template, yours is currently unattractive to the eye and does not flow well. Find a slick resume to make the reader psychophysiologically compelled to finish it!
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like your opening statement, nice summary of what your about.

I'd remove the reference part. If they want references, they will ask for them.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for the feedback. I am trying to find a better resume template. Do you think the lists of Hardware/Software/Operating systems is a bit much? It just looks like a jumbled mess to me but I'm not sure how to make it look any better. Thanks again!
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Since we share the same rate I'm obligated to respond, also PM me your email address and I will send u a copy of my resume.

1. If your applying for a DOD type job put in the commands if they are high level. When I see a navy ***/gal with JSOC, White House Comms, DevGru, or Seal/EOD unit, they automatically get a review to see if we can at least fit them somewhere.

2. Get rid of areas of Strength and replace with keywords for the searches to find them.

3. 2600/2900 routers are old. Just use cisco routers and switches if they actually care on the models they will ask, but most of the time I'm more concerned with what you are doing with them. If you were configuring BGP/OSPF on 2600's thats more impressive than someone setting up a vlan on a Nexus 7K.

4. Put your technical proficiencies in your job descriptions and how they saved money, time or whatever. Think of it like a eval. How much money did you save, how many people did you train, what are the results of your actions. Like if you setup EIGRP on the local lan, it removed 1000 static routes to minimize the configuration and make troubleshooting easier.

5. Remove the references available part that is so 80's/90's.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    I agree, use a template, looks like an outline right now. I would move your certifications up more toward the top -- I learned that one after I used to put them at the bottom and I got through a whole interview and the guy didn't even know I had my CCNA because my certs were buried at the bottom of my resume. In your intro you should pick between 1st person and "resume speak," it seems like it alternates every other sentence. Put a few of your awards up there too. I know when your in it isn't that big of a deal to get a good conduct or even a NAM sometimes, but it looks good on a resume and impresses civilians. Other than that I think you are on the right track, some formatting will make a lot of difference. Bravo zulu.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the input, do you think it is redundant to have CCNA and CCNA: Security both listed on the resume? Thanks.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nope list 'em both. Listing the CCENT and CCNA would be redundant or unnecessary.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the feedback. I went back and did a revamp of the entire resume and this is what I ended up with. Please tear this one apart now! Thank you!