Options

Job Offer: Need Advice (possibly for countering)

JasonXJasonX Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I just received a call back after I last weeks Final interview with the Director of Telecom at a large public university.

I am presently an application developer, and the new position would be a Telecom Analyst.

Problem here is I would be taking about a 12-13% paycut salary wise from what I presently make, but I'd finally be in Networking.

Perks at the new job include getting my MBA for free from a pretty reputable University as well as them contributing more (I contribute 5% they contribute 8% vs my present employer matching up to 3.5%) to my 401k.

Overall, after factoring in 401k contributions between both employers and health benefit deductions, I'd be looking at a loss of a little over $5k. I do still have student loans, a car payment and would need to move again for the position.

Further, the salary offered is at the bottom end of the range listed for compensation on the position. That, and the intial phone interview, my supervisor indicated the salary range from what I was offered to 4-5k more than I was offered. I'd think there may be some more money allocated for this position.

I really do want the position as the perks are great, just am concerned how taking this paycut would impact me. However, I'd hate to turn down yet another position in Networking like I had to at AT&T due to salary and have to remain in Programming, but I'd get more benefits here.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Jason
2016 Certification Goals:
CCIE R/S Written: ???
CCIE R/S Lab: ???
Add me on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-meier/38/912/280/

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Tough decision, taking a pay cut isn't easy. Do you have a lot of bills? Family to take care of? Those would be my main factors when making the decision personally. There is something to be said for enjoying your job as well. Is doing what you want to be doing for a living worth $5k to you?

You should try to get a little more money out of them at least though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Im in this exact process now(see my thread). Everything i have read is that employers expect you to negotiate and typically leave some room for this. My suggestion would be to ask them if they can to better and see what they say. Considering you already know the range allowed some flexibility, id be shocked if they didnt toss in a little more.
  • Options
    Right now, fortunately it's just me.

Bills, yeah, not factoring in rent, between student loans, Car Payment, Insurance, cell phone etc that eats up around a grand. Relocating down here I'd figure close to another grand for rent maybe a little less.

If it were a lateral, I'd have no problem packing my bags as cost of living is similar. I just have to account for my other expenses.
  • Options
    Im in this exact process now(see my thread). Everything i have read is that employers expect you to negotiate and typically leave some room for this. My suggestion would be to ask them if they can to better and see what they say. Considering you already know the range allowed some flexibility, id be shocked if they didnt toss in a little more.

Problem is, I'd be a State Employee, so they might be only budgeted for X amount.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    It really depends on how much they want you. You could counter and they could say "Ok, thanks" and rescind the offer. If you can prove your worth you can say "I really need salary parity to make this a lateral move", that will make sense to them. If they don't have it in the budget than you are SOL as far as negotiating is concerned.

That's where I am at, I have to have my position title changed in order to get a raise. I am a quasi-state employee and they only have budget for the position and they do not budget in for performance raises. They might have to change the title to get you more money.
  • Options
    tycoonbobtycoonbob Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check the cost of living at the new place, and see if a $5k salary cut equates to really loosing $5k/yr.

I always ask for a higher pay. Most employers assume that you are going to ask, so they give a low starting point. Don't seem desperate and beg for the 5k, but TELL them you want 5k more. They offered you the job because they want you. Are they going to turn you away and call someone else? Doubtful.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Ask for a higher pay and let them chip you down. Your in a director position and even though the perks are great you dont want to sell your sell short on the cash. You only live once, and time costs money so make as much as you can in this life :) Stability is great but your young and you want to do things with your family and those things cost money. GO GET THEM!

If they offered you 70k then state "I was thinking more of the range of 88k to 95k, can you do any better?" and go from there. If they really want you they will give you a bump in salary.
  • Options
    I asked for the additional 5k, based on my research, what I am asking for is inline with what other employees are paid with the same title in my area. While still a paycut, I just want a fair deal on both ends and break into Networking.

My supervisor is taking it up with his manager.

I'll keep everyone posted. Hopefully they call back and I didn't just burn a bridge for asking for more.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I would still try to fight back and state that its a paycut for you and this is the amount I would like to be at. Most places are not fair, I bet if you asked for more they would give. Your in the drivers seat, you make the calls not them. Everyone should be in the habit to ask for more because companies in America are not geniunely nice and they will take advantage of you if they can. Never go down in pay, go up or stay at the same rate.

You would burn a bridge if you were rude / mean about it.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Remember I told you that I was in the same boat? I asked for more and just received word a few mins ago that I got it. You never know until you try. Go for it!
  • Options
    Congrats, hopefully I'll have good news to share as well. It'd be a nice start to 2013.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If they cant offer you more money per hour, see if they would be willing to give you a sign on bonus to cover expenses related to relocation to make up the difference. They may be willing to throw something your way to help make the first year easier. Something else to try, is ask them to put in writing that you will have a review in X months to see if you can get higher up the range and it not be considered the normal review but an assesment and re-evaluation of your pay. You get the idea.