Options

Last two days in my old job ...

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
got my last paycheck, P45 (UK thing I think) and all that and there is me, still getting up at 4:40am to get onto the train to get to the office on time.

Girlfriend calls me stupid for not calling in sick .. makes me wonder - is she right lol ...

Guess its the German coming out of me (meh) ...
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know the feeling, I start a new gig in a week and already my mind's not at the current job anymore. Cant afford to burn bridges, can we!?!?

Did you manage to bring that insane notice period down from 3 months to 6 weeks or so? 4 weeks are stressful enough, 6 weeks...3 months...NOOOO!!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    truckfittruckfit Banned Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hahha i went through thé same thing it was hard and it was super tough but unlike most lazy people i got motivation and got through
  • Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    It's only 2 days man, no need to burn bridges.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    you're not stupid, you have ethics. Stay true to your values, and there's absolutely no need to burn bridges.

I'm in a kind of similar position..planning to leave work in 3 months...my mind is somewhere else!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    I know the feeling, I start a new gig in a week and already my mind's not at the current job anymore. Cant afford to burn bridges, can we!?!?

Did you manage to bring that insane notice period down from 3 months to 6 weeks or so? 4 weeks are stressful enough, 6 weeks...3 months...NOOOO!!

I did indeed .. Could have. Gotten it down to two weeks but someone messed up so it ended up being 6 weeks after all. As for burning bridges - not my intention but on the way to the train station my car got hit ... Not getting a train any time soon which I am sure my current manager won't believe anyway.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    I did indeed .. Could have. Gotten it down to two weeks but someone messed up so it ended up being 6 weeks after all. As for burning bridges - not my intention but on the way to the train station my car got hit ... Not getting a train any time soon which I am sure my current manager won't believe anyway.

Take a picture with your phone and text it to your now former boss just so they know your being legit if your worried.

That being said, I had short timers syndrom until my last week then it was just going through the motions. I honestly didnt produce much that last week and it was the only break i had as i started my job the following monday and i was in the process of a relocation. It was nice to slow my pace down.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow, those are long notice periods... it is customary for two weeks notice here in the US. My current employer said that they would like as much notice as possible because we do defense contracting and it can take a while to a replacement ready to work after they are found with security clearances and all... not to mention that they are extremely selective. So far, they haven't burned anyone that submitted notice, so I am fine with that.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Nemowolf: They did get an email at 5:40am when I was on the way - including a picture - so can't feel that bad.. In fact, I am still fighting with our helpdesk as my VPN stopped working. But yea - they don't want to put me on new projects obviously so I did nothing over the last two weeks - could have send me home really - but heh - were the quietest two weeks in my working life lol ...

powerfool: Yea - three months seems standard in higher tech job here in the city / London. Having said that - even during the interview phase they told me they have also three months in my new job, but contract says four weeks so I am surely not complaining ...
  • Options
    mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So guys when you have 3 months on your old job how do you find a new job then, do you leave before you find something? Or maybe these are jobs (the jobs you are moving to) they know people are tied time down to such contracts so they are willing to wait that long for the right candidate.

I left my old job without another job because I knew in helpdesk or 1st/2nd line it was quicker and easier for me to find a new job when I am readily available plus I was relocating so for me to go for interviews it was going to cost me £40 a time plus maybe 6 hours for every interview I went to whilst still working. I did spend 2 weeks without a job though but I could have found a job the first working day I moved but I was not ready yet, my stuff was still in boxes :) . My last 2 weeks became hard and the people I was working for tried to make me do all the projects even the stuff for next year and also not forgetting all the users asking if I can sort out their computer issues before I leave.
  • Options
    Mishy, is a tricky one. This was the first job where I had three months notice. what my new job told me when the interview process started is that they are wiling to wait for the right guy.

BUT in general people have to take their chances if they cannot find a job which is willing to wait for you. in my case for example I knew that unless I find a job, I will leave / resign the job at the time I received an annual bonus and just take my chances. In fact, I already had all papers printed / filled out to open my own company in order to work as a contractor.

Depending on your new job, you could just walk out (seen it a few times). Not adviseable, but certainly an option.

They could sue you for your notice, but no judge in the UK would agree with the company and the contract if three months notice would cause you not getting the job you applied for - which usually is the case.

Just because it is in the contract doesn't mean it is enforceable.
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    ...Just because it is in the contract doesn't mean it is enforceable.

This is so true. That's why it's important to understand what is enforceable and that of course varies between countries, states, etc. Know your rights.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I went through the same thing at the end of September - I was definitely feeling short through my last two weeks, but the last week was rough... I had completely checked out and was running on auto-pilot.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow