Options

Dropped from December start

otakuotaku Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
I decided to enroll in WGU after reading all of the posts and doing my own due diligence. I had all my transcripts sent, accepted my financial aid (this was all done last week on 11/20/2012) The only thing that was outstanding was the transcripts from another and that was about 13 years ago, I had called and they were going to send them out. It was getting down to the wire so my enrollment counselor suggested an appeal. I submitted an appeal and was approved on 11/26 11:00 EST., I was told by my EC the following day that everything was good to go. I received an email yesterday that I was dropped for transcripts or financial aid, all of which were completed on my end. I am kind of upset at the fact that this is not my fault I did what was asked of me. I know I can start at a later date but now I am wondering if this is a one time issue or if this has happened before ?. Thanks for and sorry for the rambling

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Call your enrollment counselor. Are you sure it wasn't an automated e-mail?
  • Options
    It was not an automated email at least I do not think so, I left my EC a VM.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    On the plus side, if you do not start in December you can still study for a certification that is in your degree program. Honestly, I wish I had studied for 3-4 certs before officially enrolling and knocked them out in the first month.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    You know for a fact they received your last transcript?

It sounds to me that since you won your appeal, basically they said, "We will disregard the normal cut-off date for all transcripts and we'll try to get your package complete in time". But, they weren't able too.

With a major holiday too thrown into the mix...I think they are having some issues this month. I've been waiting on my final certification exam that I passed on the 19th to be posted to my degree plan so I can 'officially' graduate. In the past, it's never taken more than 1 day...

As Krones said, don't let this stop you from learning. WGU is 100% self-learning so the only issue is you won't have access to the learning resources. That shouldn't prevent you from learning some stuff though. You'll just have to be a little more resourceful.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Krones wrote: »
    On the plus side, if you do not start in December you can still study for a certification that is in your degree program. Honestly, I wish I had studied for 3-4 certs before officially enrolling and knocked them out in the first month.

Definitely holds true for me as well in so many ways!
  • Options
    Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. It means a lot. I will have to suck it up and start in 2013 even though I was shooting for a 12/1 start. I can knock out my Sec+ before then. Thank you so much I just needed to look at it in a different perspective.
  • Options
    Yes, I attended 2 colleges and the the first one they received the the 2cnd week of November, the other one they were still waiting on so I just decided to get the appeal. You are right though I need to be more resourceful to accomplish my goals.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    For the Security+ which I am working on now I would pick a book, I went with Darril Gibson's CompTIA-Security-Certified-Ahead-SY0-301/ which is highly recommend on these forums and has better reviews than the book provided by WGU. The Kindle version is only 10 dollars! Review with Professor Messer videos and most people report a success with these two resources alone. I would not pay out of pocket for the certification but instead prep now, read the book, take the practice tests, review with videos. At the start of January, ask for the course to be one of your starting classes and immediately request a voucher and glance over the labsim content if you are still unsure or at least take an attempt at the practice tests. I am not sure if they still include labsim or not for the security+ but I would honestly skip most of the ucertify material. There is no reason why you cannot take this test within the first few weeks of your start date if you begin studying now. :)
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    @Krones,

Thanks, I will get Darril's book. I am familiar w/ Prof. Messer I used him for my Net+ and A+.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Krones wrote: »
    I would not pay out of pocket for the certification but instead prep now, read the book, take the practice tests, review with videos. At the start of January, ask for the course to be one of your starting classes and immediately request a voucher and glance over the labsim content if you are still unsure or at least take an attempt at the practice tests.

Absolutely the way to go; a few bucks for the book and your time is well worth it, but why pay for the test if you can just wait a few extra days and have WGU foot the bill?
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    +1 for Darril's Book as well.

I also got his mp3's. They were cheap as well. I would listen to them while I worked around the house.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    I support the suggestions here to start in 2013. If you start your term now, all you're doing is "running out the clock," albeit it's the beginning of the term. As others have said, set your mind to study as if you're already in the program, take practice exams to gauge your readiness, and when the term starts you can pass eval exams and actual certs right off the bat. It's an easy way to boost your self esteem early in the term by quickly completing the certs.
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had a problem with my transcripts too. I had to have the college resend them.

Between that and slow financial aid processing, it threw me off a month. No big deal as I wasn't worried about getting started in September. October was fine for me.

Oh, another +1 for Darril's book.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project