Options

New job, thoughts one week in

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
So as I mentioned in another thread, I managed to get out of the noc and into a network engineering job. The official title is intermediate network engineer (although the senior guy's title is network admin) and the location is Fort Leonard Wood, MO. I'm working for a company that (exclusively?) does government contracts.

I started Monday and it looks like the network in question is an isolated "campus" network between 3 buildings used for training. Besides myself one of the PC techs that just passed his CCNA is being promoted to a 'junior' position on the network team.

There's no routers in the design - strictly 2960's and various layer 3 switches. About 50 total, with maybe 30 vlans (some of which are unused and I'll be pruning).

There's a few things that make me cringe, reviewing the configs as I clean up old admin accounts and make a few adjustments for consistency (banner login, requiring login at console, etc). I gotta try not being the type to charge in with "ok I may be new, but now that I'm here we're gonna change everything" icon_rolleyes.gif

Ft Leonard Wood is about 4 hours away from my home, so I'm driving down there early Monday and staying in a cheap hotel, then driving home on Friday. The family will be coming down soon, since that's really the only bad part, sitting in a hotel room watching avis on my laptop until bed time.
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I received my BS from Missouri State located in Springfield Missouri. Great time I might add!

I noticed there are some restaurants through the town. Has it grown at all?
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did you have documentation about your network when you got promoted?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    bermovick wrote: »
    sitting in a hotel room watching pr0n on my laptop until bed time.

fixed icon_cheers.gif
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    fixed icon_cheers.gif

:goodposting:
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT: Hard to say since I've never been there before and am not exploring the area yet. St Robert is about 4500 pop, but HIGHLY commercial since it's right next to the base. Other nearby towns are much smaller.

Rogue: No, but my second day I started mapping out the network with cisco network assistant - unfortunately the network is more than 40 devices so I have to figure out the best way to work around that limitation.

Mike: lol, but probably not a good idea ;)
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Berm exactly my geography is off a little. I was thinking of St. Roberts. You are right it's highly commercial compared to it's population.

Cheers
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could try one of the free tools for mapping the network if it's allowed. I like Spiceworks but there are others.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management