Options

Networking in the real world book

oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
I'm sure I read something a while ago on the forum about a networking book. It wasn't for certifications though and was for more of "the real world".

I've had a google search but don't recognize it.

Anyone know what I'm on about?
Lab:
Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.

Comments

• Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    That's it! Thanks.
    Lab:
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,045 Admin
    Make sure you get the 2nd edition. It's also available on Safari Books Online. It's a very entertaining read.
  • Options
    While I hate reading I feel like it will be beneficial to have :)

Found it on amazon UK :)Network Warrior: Amazon.co.uk: Gary A. Donahue: Books
    Lab:
  • Options
    Had the book for a couple of days and I'm impressed. It's not as dry and boring as the certification books.

I was interested to read about the hardware such as the Nexus equipment. I now know why on one of the topologies at work where we had a N5k > N2K and then plugged a switch into the 2K, the port went into err-disable and we therefore had to turn on bpdufilter on the switch so the port would stay up.

Looking forward to reading the rest over time.
    Lab:
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got Network Warrior for Christmas :)
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Really good book!!!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    For a real world "this is how the internet works" text, I recommend the "Internet Peering Playbook". Last time I checked you can get the e-format version for only 10 bucks.
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    ha! I saw that book on the shelf at barnes and noble the other day and thought it was a clever title. I didn't pick it up but I'm glad to hear its pretty good.