Options

ICND2 - pass. What is next?

KAzzzkasKAzzzkas Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Yesterday passes ICND2, score 958. Its a huge stone rolled off my back. But what to do next?
Possibly I will start looing for a network technician or similar jobs. But CCNA doesn't guarantee I will get it. As I look for a decent jobs, needs Linux, MySQL and loads of other experience, knowledge and plus usually programming skills. It looks such a wide and deep river. How do you think, for what certificates should I go next? Stick on Cisco, or get some Microsoft, or begin some programming stuff? May can reply someone from experience, who works in networking, IT area and to say what are the best way to get into IT place, what he noticed, how the IT market looks like. To be honest, I prefer to avoid programming, but I believe, it is in avoidable. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    rstyrsty Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Depends on the job.

The bigger the company, the deeper your studies go because they have more jobs that do specific things where you might end up being strictly a jr. Cisco engineer.

For a small company, they may want you to manage cisco equipment + windows servers+ more.

Or an NOC tech job may need cisco + linux + script programming (dont get scripting mixed up with programming)

Tell us what job you want to land.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You are almost guaranteed to need some OS support experience. There are few positions that are solely Cisco. You have to remember that the network supports the applications and users of a business. Try to position yourself for a first IT job. Once you have that then you can start thinking about something more advanced. Grab a couple Microsoft Certs and take it from there. A Cisco cert alone without any experience will rarely get you very far.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    well you can begin with adding CCNA to your certs in the forums :P

I agree with trooper
    I'd take a OS cert
    something like a win7 MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support
    and go around trying to land that first network job
    linux is very handy for networking too
    meh
  • Options
    KAzzzkasKAzzzkas Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for answers and supporting. I will try to get volunteer position in local Library to look after their network on weekends. Because currently I am working full time in other place, not my dream job, but money are money. And I think, I should go for a couple of Microsoft entry level certs.