Options

CCNA exams and certification

fitzroy87fitzroy87 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have very recently decided to study for CCNA.

I have been familiarising myself with process of becoming CCNA certified. I see that there are two routes, 640-822 ICND1 + 640-816 ICND2 or just the single composite exam. I've pretty much decided to go the two exam route.

I live in the UK, I have registered with Pearson VUE and found my nearest test centre.

What I'd like to know is if I sat the ICND1 with Pearson and passed, then at a later date sat ICND2 and passed, will Pearson put two and two together and work out that I've now completed two exams that result in CCNA certification or do I have to inform them?

Also, is passing '640-822 ICND1' a prerequisite for sitting '640-822 ICND2' or could you do '640-822 ICND2' first if you were so inclined?

Thanks,
Fitzroy87

Comments

• Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    i saw a post here, someone scheduled ICND2 first, and took ICND1 next day. You dont need to inform them, once you completed the test, the result will be transmitted to Pearson Vue. And you would get an email in a day or 2 after passing it.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    So if I take ICND1 and pass then take ICND2 several months later and pass, Pearsons systems are intelligent enough to realise that ICND1 + ICND2 = CCNA ?
  • Options
    rstyrsty Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When u pass a test, u get a CSCO id where your cert progress is tracked.

You can use your csco id to log in and view progress.

Pearson just has the test center, they dont manage the cert progress
  • Options
    NewInBussinesNewInBussines Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend to take the certification in only one exam, is cheaper and in my opinion easier, but this doesn't mean you shouldn't study hard.
    The key is to make all the labs from the cisco documentation and practice a lot using web simulators.
    Also I would recommend the video tutorials
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fitzroy87 wrote: »
    So if I take ICND1 and pass then take ICND2 several months later and pass, Pearsons systems are intelligent enough to realise that ICND1 + ICND2 = CCNA ?

As mentioned above, Pearson is just the testing center. When you pass the exam the results are forwarded to Cisco, who awards the certification.

So you pass ICND1 > Pearson forwards your results to Cisco > Cisco rewards you with CCENT. You're now in Cisco's system (you'll be given a Cisco ID number). Pearson's website keeps your Cisco ID on file, so you sign in as you did before, schedule and pass ICND2 > Pearson forwards your ICND2 results to Cisco and Cisco adds it to your existing records. Since you've fulfilled the requirements, they reward you the CCNA.
  • Options
    Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend to take the certification in only one exam, is cheaper and in my opinion easier, but this doesn't mean you shouldn't study hard.
    The key is to make all the labs from the cisco documentation and practice a lot using web simulators.
    Also I would recommend the video tutorials

I've heard the opposite in that the composite exam is harder because you have so much material to study and remember during the 75-90 minutes you're given for the exam. I went the two test route because even though I had my Network+, I knew that I barely understood the Cisco world, so trying to go from newbie to associate in one go wouldn't have turned out well. Regarding the pricing, it's practically the same: $150 x2 for ICND1 and ICND2 versus $295 for the composite CCNA.

After talking with others (both in person and via message boards) who have gone both routes, the consensus regarding the composite was that it's more for people who are renewing their existing CCNAs, but if you can pass it and earn your initial CCNA, more power to you.

As others have said, when you complete the tests and pass them, Pearson forwards the results to Cisco. When I passed the ICND2 exam, I got notification from Cisco the next day that I had been awarded the CCNA because their records indicated I had passed both ICND1 and ICND2.
    11/29/12: Begin CCNP ROUTE.
  • Options
    NewInBussinesNewInBussines Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my opinion for ICND1 and ICND2 the questions needs a more in depth knowledge of the materials which is not so necessary in my opinion, you need practice doing labs and not to know every piece of information that cisco asks.
  • Options
    Brandon1981Brandon1981 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Fitzroy87

I would also caution against taking the composite CCNA exam. I had A+, Network+, and had passed ICND1 before I took ICND2 and I failed it. I passed the second time around, but ICND2 is no joke if you're new. If you're just getting into the networking world, the composite exam is going to be a BIG challenge. Heck, ICND2 is even a challenge in itself. That's just me.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    I took the composite and IMO its easier if you know the material. IMO people say the ICDN1 & 2 is easier b/c you can study and cram for a few subjects for each.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Each has their benefit.

I've heard of people take the ccent, then take the composite exam.

The benefit of the composite exam is that it may not be as 'deep' into the detail as ICND2 would be. But it's also wider - covering and expecting you know a lot about it.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to reply to my post. I now understand how to certifications are awarded.

I appreciate all your thoughts on ICND1 + ICND2 vs Composite.

Fitzroy87