Options

Is there such a thing as...

danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
having too many certifications? Just wondering what you guys think.
I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No - Because of the simple fact that one does not have to list every single certification on his/her resume.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Yes. Recently, there was someone from Egypt asking if he can get a job in telecom industry. He had like 20 certs and 3 months of experience.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    sratakhin wrote: »
    Yes. Recently, there was someone from Egypt asking if he can get a job in telecom industry. He had like 20 certs and 3 months of experience.

thats situational
    here the problem is not really the number of certs lol
    If he had 20 certs and 10 years of experience it would be a whole another case
    meh
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There really is no point in attaining a certification in a discipline you do not use and will not use. If you are an enterprise network architect in a role that is pure cisco, would it make sense to go get an A+, and whatever Microsoft certs are out there right now? Not really unless you are doing purely for fun knowing it won't really get you anywhere. Attain certs that have some way to help you advance toward a pre-defined career goal as much as you can. That doesn't mean your career goals can't and don't change. It just means don't do anything that won't get you closer to your current goals.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think one well placed certification every couple of years is a good mix. This is my opinion and understand everyone else has their own opinions.

Example Get one certification to start your career off. A+ or something similiar to that. Then transition into a middle level certification in a technology you are actively supporting and entrenched in. CCNA for networking example. Then move forward within your craft. That may mean more advanced cisco certifications or maybe security. (CISSP)

I've done the mile wide 1 inch deep method and it did nothing for me. Once I started focusing on project management and service management certifications it began to help me in my job search and job role.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Just A+ for a career start? Heck, if I did that, I wouldn't have my current job. Having several certifications and experience from self-employment helped me to land a very good job even though I'm an immigrant and only 23 years old.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□

I think he said his uncle in Australia had those certs. He was asking what the forum members thought of those certs.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just A+ for a career start? Heck, if I did that, I wouldn't have my current job. Having several certifications and experience from self-employment helped me to land a very good job even though I'm an immigrant and only 23 years old.

I hope you are not Russian, with a moniker like that. icon_lol.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]