Options

How many processors do computers typically have?

Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was always under the impression that computers only have one processor, however when I looked under the device manager of my desktop I saw two processor listings. They were identical, but there were two of them. Does this mean that my computer has two processors, or is it one single processor repeated?

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Typically computers have a single physical processor that is capable of multi-core operation. What you are describing is a dual-core processor. My home desktop is a quad-core processor. It is for parallel computing and I've seen multi-core's go up to 8.

Here is a quick Wikipedia blurb:

A multi-core processor is a single computing component with two or more independent actual central processing units (called "cores"), which are the units that read and execute program instructions.[1] The instructions are ordinary CPU instructions such as add, move data, and branch, but the multiple cores can run multiple instructions at the same time, increasing overall speed for programs amenable to parallel computing.[2] Manufacturers typically integrate the cores onto a single integrated circuit die (known as a chip multiprocessor or CMP), or onto multiple dies in a single chip package.
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, lsu00d. That makes sense, since it does say dual-core. I guess I just didn't understand why it appeared twice.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    You're welcome Michael2! Your computer shows two processors in device manager because it is dual-core and thus has two CPU's. If you look at Task Manager and then the Performance tab, you should see separate monitoring for each CPU. Also if you right click on a process under the Processes tab and choose 'Set Affinity', you can choose which process the CPU executes on.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I haven't had a reason to mess around with the Set Affinity since Windows XP days. icon_rolleyes.gif

Dualcore is pretty much the bottom of the barrel that you can get in a new desktop/laptop nowadays. Most programs/games take full advantage of it. And other do utilize 4 or more cores.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Technically, the average computer has several processors for different functions. Soon that will go down to one or two as CPU designs are moving towards System-On-Chip designs with almost everything crammed into a single chip except audio and storage I/O.