Options

CCNA....finally!!!!!

ffhopkins46ffhopkins46 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well, I retested the ICND 2 today and passed it!icon_cheers.gif That makes Security+ on August 1st, CCENT on October 10, and CCNA today. Too happy right now knowing I've reached my first goal. I'm going to possibly enroll at WGU to pursue a B.S. whilst working in the field and deciding to wait and do SSCP or start learning CCNA:Security. Call me crazy but I've got the "network buzz". I came home from the test center and started reading "Network Warrior" by O'Reilly. I'm a firefighter full time right now. I'm gonna pump my brakes on the certs a sec. Don't want to raise any questions when hiring managers see a page of certs but no experience lol. Thanks everyone who gave me advice and helped keep me motivated. Wasn't easy when I'm not in the field or in school for this to stay motivated.
"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't need to put certifications on your resume! keep the networking buzz going :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    You don't need to put certifications on your resume! keep the networking buzz going :)
    you should if you don't have the real world experience, why would you say this?
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gbdavidx wrote: »

Because the OP indicated that he/she does not want 'too many' certs. Im with Rogue if you're worried about having too many certs, you can just take some off of the resume if they are not relevant to the position.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gbdavidx wrote: »

I see certifications as a framework. Rather small framework. If you don't get to think outside the box, experience different areas - albiet other frameworks, or outside sources... you're in a very small spot.

I've heard and read over and over again that Frame-Relay is going out the door, migrating to other technologies. MPLS is the main player. That topic isn't really brought up until CCIE or the Service Provider track. Yes, you are introduced to it in CCNP but for all purposes it's more of a "Know it exists" type introduction. I've also heard of some of the problems of MPLS (which escape me for the life of me) while listening to people discussing the technology.

Going to another certification - CCNP-level will give him more knowledge. It'll introduce him to other ways of thinking - which CCNP makes you do. Believe me, CCNA is far far from "End-Game." That was painfully obivious when I cracked open the CCNA: Voice box!

Summary: I'm not saying for him to not look for real-world experience. I'm just saying for him to "Not stop learning." I know all too well that once you "Stop" it's really hard to "Start". I've made tons of excuses - Life, Money, time, Games (Diablo 3, Skyrim, Borderlands 2,...). Just like going back to school... Everyone says "I'll go back to school later". My parents did. My friends parents do... they never have. Once you stop schooling yourself, it's really hard to get back to it and settle with Prime-Time TV.

I'm not saying Family Guy is bad. Because that's the only Prime-Time show that matters :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Brandon1981Brandon1981 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Contrats ffhopkins46!

I also failed ICND2 the first time I took it. What tripped you up? Just curious.

For me, the time issue was probably the biggest. That and not knowing the material well enough.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @ffhopkins46 - congrats on the CCNA! - good to see another career changer hitting those exams out the ballpark! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    ffhopkins46ffhopkins46 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    brandon1981 - You're right with me...the time. In fact, this time I had the LONGEST simlet as my last question smh. But I knew the material. I'd advise anyone to KNOW the material in and out. I spent hours a day learning to make up for lack of experience. It helped solidify the material because EVERYDAY I was immersed in Cisco. You gotta love it. No secret tips or anything....like Roguetadhg said, when you are learning a chapter, have your equipment or Packet Tracer there and implement what you learn as you go. Otherwise, five pages in you'll be like "....now what the f*@$ is frame relay again?" Lol
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice job man, congrats!
  • Options
    neoteslaneotesla Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats to fellow-CCNA!