Options

Tablet for on-the-go IT/networking work?

f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
For some time i've been a bystander to this whole tablet craze. I've been sitting back thinking to myself "where's the purpose?" and came to the conclusion that it's just a gadget with no true purpose (for the general user).

Up till now though I've thought it would be great to have either an ultrabook notebook or something similar to have as my main PC. Then having my usb-to-serial adapter, etc with me in my laptop bag. The reason why is when you're in those tiny comm closets you don't really have a place to set your 17" beast-of-a-laptop down. So if you had a lightweight and functional PC it would be awesome.

I'm now intrigued with the release of the nexus 10 and asus transformer infinity. The infinity comes with a "dock" which basically makes it a laptop.

Any thoughts on using a tablet as your main device for configuring network devices, remoting into servers, etc...?

Also just for fun, I'm going to add a poll nexus 10 vs asus transformer :) . In case you didn't notice... the iPad isn't on here (it wasn't on accident ;) )
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    neither.

I'd wait for the Windows Pro tablet. If I bought any, that would be it - even with the 4 hours of battery life, and the cost...

It's capable as a tablet and run normal programs - not "apps".

A lot easier to keep inventory, and look at excel while on the floor. I can definitely think of uses as an IT person when I can't exactly be at my desk.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with Roguetadhg -- Surface Pro or ultrabook convertible.

If you're going to go with one of these two, the Transformer. Bottom line is that without a keyboard, it mostly just a toy. You can get some quick emails out or even brief work over LogMeIn or RDP, but it's so much less efficient without a keyboard.

If you want a toy, I don't see the appeal of Android tablets. The iPad is a better toy.

If you want a tool, I'm still in the Windows crowd, but the Transformer can at least get the job done well enough with RDP or LogMeIn.

I bring my iPad around everywhere because it's versatile, but when I'm traveling I end up tossing it in favor of my laptop for any serious work.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I agree with the above. You want a useful tablet for working on things get a surface pro.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Adding a keyboard to a tablet makes it look like a laptop but it's just a tablet with a keyboard. It's the operating system and app support. I found more apps I can use on iOS compared to Android but I still wouldn't try and use it to replace a laptop for work purposes.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    LOL! I went to Google and would you believe...: Get Console - iPhone iPad Serial Cables and Terminal Apps

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Also, looks like we have a lot of Windows fans in here :D
  • Options
    I'm a fan of getting things done, with little hassle and headache as possible. I'll pay a little more for a homogeneous ecosystem that plays without a middle man [iTunes/apps] for transferring non-picture items. I choose not to want to spend my time fiddling with iOS/Android and spend more time working or studying or making my ***** posts at TechExams! I][SIZE=1]I'm a ***** in training.[/SIZE][/I

I've used the iPad thing and it was a pain in the rear. I've read a few times that it's improved, but I still have my doubts. I don't like needing iTunes to transfer, and then hope the app can integrate with Office.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    Resistance is futile lol
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Microsoft Surface Pro:
    Surface with Windows 8 Pro combines the security and manageability that you expect from Microsoft.

Who lied about that statement? Who expects great security from Microsoft?
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    Dissing Microsoft about security is so 1990s lol
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    vanquish23 wrote: »

Who lied about that statement? Who expects great security from Microsoft?

I guess that's why Microsoft isn't a leader in the network operating system market :)

All OSes are vulnerable. Microsoft has greatly improved their code since Windows 95/ME/Vista days. If you've ever tried Server 2012, it's a pretty solidly built NOS. Microsoft also owns a larger part of the market share so what do you think hackers target the most? If you want to believe that OSX or whatever Linux flavor you use isn't just as easy to get into, please meet me at Defcon and we'll turn on the WiFi on your laptop on the con floor for a nice demonstration :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    If you want to believe that OSX or whatever Linux flavor you use isn't just as easy to get into, please meet me at Defcon and we'll turn on the WiFi on your laptop on the con floor for a nice demonstration icon_smile.gif
    LOL!!! You tell them how it is!
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    The operating systems are way better than before, it's the third party plug ins that seem to dominate the CERT CVE listings when I check the weekly reports. Adobe, Java and I noticed Chrome is coming up a lot now also.
  • Options
    If you want to believe that OSX or whatever Linux flavor you use isn't just as easy to get into, please meet me at Defcon and we'll turn on the WiFi on your laptop on the con floor for a nice demonstration :)
    Although I agree with your point in principle, just to play devil's advocate, would you extend that challenge to OpenBSD? I've not heard of anyone breaking into default OpenBSD outside of the two know remote vulnerabilities it has had in its lifetime.

For that matter, an iOS vulnerability remote vulnerability would surprise me (OSX would not). Of course, Windows firewall and most Linux distro firewalls are on by default, so saying "default" is of course not going to be much of a test.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    The second you believe any OS is secure is the second you open yourself up to being blindsided. If you look on OpenBSD's security page, you'll see a long history of vulnerabilities (OpenBSD Security)
    As far as IOS, I've mentioned before how there have been valid exploits during hacking contests to remotely access it and there's this: Apple provides 197 security reasons to upgrade to iOS 6 | ZDNet
    If there is less in comparison to more products that own more of the market share, well... there's your answer right there as to why that is.

This does not mean either of the two OSes I just mentioned aren't great. It just means we should never have a false sense of security. For every wisearse that believes they are more secure because they have XYZ OS, there's a bigger wisearse out there willing to knock them down a few pegs.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    That was the thing I am despising about mobile phones. Security updates are almost nonexistent between os upgrades. And if you have a non Nexus Android phone you are even worse off. My Razr is the orginal and just turned 11 months old and Motorola only released upgrades for the absolutely newest Razrs.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This should help in your decision.

Also until the windows pro is out and there have been official battery life tests, we dont know the official battery life expectancy.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    That's the Surface RT they're comparing to the Asus Transformer. The regular Surface is probably more geared towards college students who need to use Office or want the split screen feature for various things. The Surface RT is hardly comparable to the Pro since the Pro will run regular x86 applications. The battery life doesn't bug me as much since I've been used to 4-5 hours since I've owned laptops. I'll sacrifice battery life for thinner and lighter weight. I, for one, am looking forward to using a touch screen to create my Visios, having packet tracer on a nice thin device, and being able to read my books on a "tablet."

I also go out on sites regularly, have to present at meetings and haul tons of stuff around so mobility and weight matter more to me than having the "OMG!-IT'S-TOP-OF-THE-LINE" specs. It all depends on your needs.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    The second you believe any OS is secure is the second you open yourself up to being blindsided. If you look on OpenBSD's security page, you'll see a long history of vulnerabilities (OpenBSD Security)
    As far as IOS, I've mentioned before how there have been valid exploits during hacking contests to remotely access it and there's this: Apple provides 197 security reasons to upgrade to iOS 6 | ZDNet
    I'm asking specifically about remote exploits, since you challenged turning on WiFi at Defcon. I do not disagree with your philosophy here, which is that it is bad to assume any OS has perfect security. I'm speaking only in the context of remote vulnerabilities, of which OpenBSD has only had two in its history (as you'll note on the main page). AFAIK iOS hasn't had one since 2007 or 2008.

My point is that I would be shocked if someone could break into an out-of-the-box OpenBSD or iOS system just because WiFi was on. Again, I'd still be surprised if someone could break into out-of-the-box Windows, though less so.
  • Options
    You're right. Most stuff out of box isn't going to be easy to break into and that's not the point I was trying to nail home. I know what you mean though
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    I remember when I upgraded the domain to 2003 way back and I stood a new 2003 server up. Joined it to the network and figured I could go back to my desk and just RDP to it and finish things up. Was like "uh RDP can't connect". Then learned that RDP wasn't on by default, got too used to Windows 2000 Server being wide open and "then" you had to lock it down.
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    I haven't gotten it yet, but I went with the Dell XPS 12, full laptop, i7 processor and 8gb ram, but can still use it as a tablet for training videos ect. I have an iPad, although my son has pretty much stolen it, along with the redpark console cable (for sale if you want to pm me), and the iPad works for most things, but the lack of a keyboard makes truly doing work too difficult.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Adding a keyboard to a tablet makes it look like a laptop but it's just a tablet with a keyboard.

+1. I remember when the Transformer first came out and it was being worshiped for this.....for some reason.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Because it can "Transform". I think Hasbro shat bricks and sued them for the name?

• Options
    I think they Transformed on to Ebay or people forgot about the keyboards and just used it as a tablet lol. Tablet for me is kicking back on my couch and reading or annoying people here.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    for those that work as a network engineer - most would just need a good telnet app that
  • Options
    I wish I just needed telnet. Whatever I'm carrying around needs to be able to download/run proprietary Java apps (IPS/IDS/ASDM/etc that we use), Word, Visio, Putty, SSH, TypeItIn (great for configuring duplicate equipment), etc
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wish I just needed telnet. Whatever I'm carrying around needs to be able to download/run proprietary Java apps (IPS/IDS/ASDM/etc that we use), Word, Visio, Putty, SSH, TypeItIn (great for configuring duplicate equipment), etc

yep, what she said!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Yeah that's what I was hoping these tablets were capable of... If they can do those things they would be an extremely useful tool :D
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Why not just use Remote Desktop on a tablet? Attach a keyboard and it's like a laptop :)