Options

Need advice on what to study for written interview exam

NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
Quick summary:

I applied for a job through my county back in early October and received a notification yesterday that I was one of the candidates they have invited to do the written portion of the interview. I was not expecting to be picked as the job has some functions outside my current and previous Help Desk Roles so i wanted to check with you all on what i may want to study up on for the written test.

The job title is Network Technician but the job description reads more like help desk as the example sites installing software, hardware, and maintaining printers. There is no mention of actual network experience or job duties mentioned. They are asking for an Associates and three years of experience which i have in spades. I have no clue what if any questions will relate to networking.

If anyone works a county/city/gov type position, could you give me some advise as to what i may be up against?

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have taken a few different types of tests for positions (both gov't and non-gov't). Generally they've been all over the place. One of them asked about technologies which I openly told them I had no experience with. I think the key is to remember that if they didn't think you were somewhat qualified, they wouldn't ask you to take the test.

The next thing to remember, is if you were honest about your qualifications, a half-decent hiring manager will not penalize you for missing questions that are either not relevant to your position, or that you openly admitted having little experience in.

I think either way you'll be OK.