Options

WGU BS IT-Network Admin

xiownthisplacexxiownthisplacex Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've always wanted to get an IT degree, but never had the chance. What I am worried about is what is required for admission at WGU, because:
-I don't have any professional experience in the field;
-I only have a HSD;
-I don't have any certifications;

My question is, how do I go about this?
Should I get a certification before applying? Such as A+?

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i would suggest you go for the reg it degree and get all the comptias before you start as well as server+ (takes care of that nasty windows class)
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ^^ = +1. I started out in the NA emphasis, but switched due to the 642 exam. I think the general IT is a good idea, then get some specialized certs later on.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply guys.
    So if i get the the comptias, that would make me eligible for admission, right?
  • Options
    You only need 1 cert to get in. The easiest is the CIW: Web Foundations.
  • Options
    cygnus21cygnus21 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you would still need a HS Diploma or a GED as well even if you do have some certs.
    WGU B.S.IT - Network Design and Management :
    Courses Completed: Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, IWC1, IWT1 Completed: GAC1, AXV1, TTV1, WFV1, BNC1, BNC1
    Courses Needed : LAT1, LUT1, HHT1, QLT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, ORC1, LET1, BOV1, TPV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IF you don't have a high school diploma you're going to need at least a GED to go to any college that I'm aware of. Last I heard the requirements for WGU is either an associates degree, experience in IT or an IT certification. A+ alone should get you in.
  • Options
    His initial post states he has the High School diploma. Best bet is to get that CIW cert, to be admitted to WGU.
  • Options
    Yes I have a High School Diploma, as stated on my initial post.
    I will look into the CIW cert, I appreciate the feedback!
  • Options
    If you want a book for it, try this one. It's a 4th edition, but cheap at under $10. I used it for the Foundations course.

CIW: Foundations Study Guide (Exam 1D0-410): Patrick T. Lane, William Sodeman, Emmett Dulaney: 9780782140811: Amazon.com: Books
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    If you want a book for it, try this one. It's a 4th edition, but cheap at under $10. I used it for the Foundations course.

CIW: Foundations Study Guide (Exam 1D0-410): Patrick T. Lane, William Sodeman, Emmett Dulaney: 9780782140811: Amazon.com: Books
    Wow thanks man, very nice of you! Already ordered :)