70 -680 Question for Dual boot - Using Setup.exe or Boot from Windows 7 DVD

testbustertestbuster Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
you have computers running windows Vista, and you need to run dual boot with windows 7 without reducing the size of the partition that contains windows vista.
which action do you perform:

step 1: Add a hard drive to the client computer
Step 2: Lauch a widows 7 installation from within windows vista by using setup.exe
Step 3: Choose Custom installation option during the windows 7 installation

The above is the one recommended. But my answer for step 2, is Boot the client computer from the windows 7 installation media.

I guess both could be right. what do you guys think? Is there a significant difference between these two? Thanks.

Comments

• BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would think the end result would be the same as well.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Either should work.

Also, you don't need to add a hard drive. They can be installed on the same partition. It will use more free space on the volume, but it will not reduce the size of the partition.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • LamptonLampton Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When launching from within Vista or booting to the media I believe there is no difference between the installation media menu's. You'll be able to accomplish the task either way.
    Currently studying for: Microsoft 70-640

Using: CBT Nuggets, 70-640 Training Kit 2nd edition, & Transcender Practice Tests.
  • testbustertestbuster Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. i guess the difference is that running setup.exe from Vista is easier for regular users, so it is a better answer.
  • mr_tech_ukmr_tech_uk Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Step 2: Lauch a widows 7 installation from within windows vista by using setup.exe

You already have the Windows Vista OS installed to performed upgrade to Windows 7 I would select run Setup and choose custom install

Choose Custom installation option during the windows 7 installation - Suggests you have no OS and you are doing a new clean install

Just my opinon icon_smile.gif
  • rdfcgvhbjnrdfcgvhbjn Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Step 2. Boot the client from the DVD Media as an engineer you should never choose the easy way to install things but always advanced.

@Ptilsen you should add an hard drive to the computer although thats what they say in the books and nugget movies.
  • beembeem Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone else have a sneaking suspicion Microsoft would mark them both as correct?
  • DEC901DEC901 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just answer the way Microsoft wants you to answer even if it SEEMS contradictory; especially if you want to get credit for the question.