Options

School vs experience

100k100k Member Posts: 196
So here my situation. Got accepted to a university for spring but with my job it would make it very difficult to attend classes. I already have my AS if that makes a difference.
Next is that I sent out my resume to desperately get out of my current job. Got a few call backs n have one interview Monday he want me to start asap. But it was not my fist pick nor second. Do I reject his offer n wait to see if I get a call or take it? It only been 4 days since I sent out my resume.
Help...

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    For me the decision would come down to a financial one. Can you afford to go to school and not work? If so get your education. If you need the money then there is your answer. Take the job (or whatever job you end up choosing) and try to work school in around work.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I highly encourage you to pursue completing a four-year degree, even if it means taking one or two night/weekend/online classes for several years. The degree will help a lot.

However, the sooner you start getting experience, the faster you'll move up. The work experience is extremely valuable, even if you don't need the money.

If you can't go to that university and at least work a part-time job in your field, I would advise looking for a different university. Putting your career on hold for another two years will, in my opinion, cost you more than putting your degree on hold.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Thanks for the advice looks like I may jump on that WGU later on
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depending on what shift you are working I would schedule the classes after work or before work..

I will tell you this working and going to school at the same time will be the longest days of your life. The good news once you finish you will have so much energy after work. icon_thumright.gif
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Experience trumps school but (and its a BIG but) to get to the serious higher level IT experience, employers will often want to see a degree first. I.e. if you have 10 years as a senior network engineer, you're probably fine. You'll still have SOME HR monkey throw your resume away from time to time but if an IT manager gets it first, it wont matter as much. The real trick is to get into that experience without a degree though. Its the whole "chicken before the egg" argument. If you poke around this forum, there are a lot of people who have made it without a degree but the road was a bit tougher for them.

Good luck with whatever you decide
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com