Options

Got a RAISE!

IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
Hello all!

So a few weeks back, my boss asked if there was anything he could do to help me out or assist me more. I, jokingly, said "Sure! I'd take a raise!" (Was NOT expecting him to take that seriously at all) and he gave me a serious look while saying "Hmm... that's an interesting idea" before walking away. I didn't think anything else about it. Today he pulled me into office today, asked me to close the door and with a very serious face, he started with "IrisTheAngel, a few weeks ago with a straight face, I asked you if I could do anything for you or to help you and you asked me for a raise. While you may have not been serious, I thought it over and thought to myself that you've been going above and beyond what we've expected of you so I've authorized a 10% raise for you effectively. Merry Christmas or whatever holiday you celebrate."

WOW. What NOT expecting that.

I know I haven't submitted an update in regards to my new job so I guess I'll bundle it in here because I'm having a pretty amazing day. As I just relayed, the new job is going AWESOME. I've had a chance to design and set up huge new sites, configure 12-20 2960S, 2-4 3750X, and a several 2951s per site. We're also upgrading a LOT of infrastructure and adding tons of new things. I'm getting my hands on ISE, IPS/IDS solutions, CUCM 9, Unified Presence/Jabber, ASRs, MPLS, BGP, etc.

To be 100% honest, it's EXTREMELY fast paced and there's a lot of pressure. Right now I am concurrently running about 25 different projects where the buck stops with me and PMs that all expect their network buildout or upgrade to be the priority. I'm actually sitting in a major airport right now configuring a new network which is amazing and stressful at the same time (long story!). There are times where some of the senior network engineers are describing concepts and I'm just like "Wow. I have NO idea what they're talking about but I hope I get to their level one day."

Anyways, awesome day! Wish me luck on this network buildout tonight. It's looking like I'll be here for awhile.
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• Options
    skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! That is one sweet Christmas present. Sounds like you have an awesome job too getting to play with so many different technologies. What was your path like to get to where you are today
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the raise! icon_cheers.gif This proves it never hurts to ask, even when you're joking.

Good luck on your network build tonight, though I doubt you'll need it.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    In terms of jobs and certificates?
    I started 5 years ago and progressed this way:
    IT Technician/Jr Network Admin (2 years - Started at $12/hr) - Gained Security+, Linux+, A+, Network+, MCDST, and MCSA here
    Security Access Anaylst (2.5 years) - Started and finished WGU - B.S. IT - Security, Gained MCSE:Security, CCENT, CCNA, CISSP, and a slew of meaningless CIW certs
    Network Engineer (Current. Been her for 4 months. Started out past the 6-figure mark and heading 10% up) - Working on my M.S. at WGU, got my CCNA:Security and working on CCNA:Voice. Hoping to get my NP done here
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Congratulations!

Iris, I was wondering how you got the CISSP without 5 years of experience directly in the security field. What counts towards it?
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations, you earned it!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    sratakhin wrote: »
    Iris, I was wondering how you got the CISSP without 5 years of experience directly in the security field. What counts towards it?

LoL. They took my physical security experience. I used to be a security guard for a data center. I would issue smart cards, revoke access, check physical and environmental issues, etc. I had to call ISC2 to ensure they would take it and they had me submit it with my references. I only needed 4 years of security experience to qualify for anyways since my Security+ certification waived a year requirement so my first and second IT job covered it
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Wow, I didn't know that physical security also counts. May be they'll give credit for securing cookies and candies from my girlfriend :)
  • Options
    Physical security is part of the 10 domains of CISSP:

Certified Information Systems Security Professional - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As long as you are doing full time paid work within these domains, you are gaining credited experience towards your CISSP.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Nice! Congrats Iris, well deserved. thanks for the update. glad to know you are kicking butt and loving it. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congratulations icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CISSP wow thats a biggy!

Congrats on the raise,,, it sure is nice to hear that people are getting a raise, very promising for the rest of us!
  • Options
    Thanks, Inscom! I probably will never utilize it fully since I'm really enjoying networking but it's one of those nice things to have and it makes the resume shinier. ;)

Ok, this network is DONE! HOME TIME FOR SOME CELEBRATION! (Celebration = playing on the internet while eating cheese and watching Fringe like the big nerd I am. Don't judge me...)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    drefoq80drefoq80 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Iristheangel! you are an inspiration to some of us who are still trying to get in. Great stuff!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL! Ah yes, Fringe. I'm mixed between liking and hating it right now :)
  • Options
    If Peter dies, that show is dead to me. /nerd.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I guess you'll get yours all the gaming toys!

Congratulations, iristheangel!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Working for someone who has your back is a rare thing, and is really awesome. Congrats!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd like to have your job - give me a 50% pay cut. It just sounds like fun. I can only imagine what you've learned.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LoL. They took my physical security experience. I used to be a security guard for a data center.

That's good to know - I have a couple of years of physical security experience too - throwing people out of bars - does that count?

Congrats on the raise! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I'd like to have your job - give me a 50% pay cut.

Roguetadhg - you'd have to take a 50% pay cut to make what Iris is making? You are doing well, my friend! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations. I hope to be somewhere close you your level at 5 years of experience.
  • Options
    truckfittruckfit Banned Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    ...I'm just like "Wow. I have NO idea what they're talking about but I hope I get to their level one day."

I bet some of us here are saying the same about you icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the raise. Gives me more motivation to always keep an eye out for extra things I could be doing to get noticed more at work.
  • Options
    truckfittruckfit Banned Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In the 5 year mark it looks like you achievved alot
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    LoL. They took my physical security experience. I used to be a security guard for a data center. I would issue smart cards, revoke access, check physical and environmental issues, etc. I had to call ISC2 to ensure they would take it and they had me submit it with my references. I only needed 4 years of security experience to qualify for anyways since my Security+ certification waived a year requirement so my first and second IT job covered it

I worked as a security guard for two years at a government building that required a security clearance for entry. Always wondered if that time would count towards the CISSP. I felt like I was wasting my time in that job but didn't leave because I didn't want to give up my clearance. Eventually the contacts I made working there paid off and I was able to jump into a cleared IT position with a much higher salary.
  • Options
    rterrain03rterrain03 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, Sounds like you have your hands full !
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    rterrain03 wrote: »
    Congrats, Sounds like you have your hands full !

of money
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm getting my hands on ISE

How do you like ISE so far? I've been working with for a few months now. I'm currently doing a deployment on a network with 400 NADs and about 10000 endpoints. Just curious what others are experiencing.