Options

Advise on Certification path

ahmadazamyahmadazamy Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I just joined this forum. I just wanted some advise of what certification to stud for.
I currently am a Senior Desktop Support Tech for a federal agency in Washington, DC.
I have been here for the past 5 years.
I am experienced with Xp/7/OSX/AD/SCCM/BES.
I would like to move into a sysadmin position, then eventually into server admin or network admin.
I have been debating betweed MCITP/RHCSA/CCNA.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Ahmad

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It seems like most of your systems are Microsoft related. Go down that path first. Make sure your overall goal is to improve your skillset. Don't get too hung up on the certification itself unless it is required for the position you are aiming for. A CCNA isn't going to benefit much just yet.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SCCM certification would be nice if you have admin experience.
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    red hat certificates are more technical & very respected... :)
  • Options
    Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would probably but the CCNA at the bottom of the list of three you have. It's useful, but for your position of system admin, the other two are more appropriate.
    A relevant MCITP will be helpful and as cisco_trooper mentioned, most of the technologies you mentioned are Microsoft. Do you have any MCTS certifications. You could start with those - they are often a prerequisite to the MCITP certifications.
    Experience and knowledge will help you get into a new position. Your Windows experience, along with any Microsoft certification should help you move into a system administrator role - and after that, you could look into that Red Hat certification.

Hope it helps!
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Re: CISCO. I would leave it at the bottom, but you could take the CCENT. It'll get you versed in subnetting, something all sys admin types should understand.

As you are already MS centric, you might want to stay in that path. SCCM and Server are a powerful combination, especially if you can learn SCOM. My personal thoughts are that SCCM is going to be "the" certificate in the next 3-5 years.

You could go down the Linux road, but remember you'll be starting at ground zero. The learning curve on Linux is much longer & requires a more concerted effort than on Windows. Entry positions are also more difficult to find but once in the field, you're set. But specializing in Linux also requires you learn how to write scripts.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Elvis agreed about SCCM.

One of my old mates on the service desk ended up working as a system analyst then transitioning into a SCCM admin. He passed the 07 SCCM exam (his only certification I talked him into it), and ended up landing a very sweet job. He is in the midwest and makes a kings ransom considering the cost of living.