Options

CCNA composite instead of 1&2

sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
Hello, I failed my ICND-1 within less than 5%.

At this point, I'm leaning towards Composite.
I start my ICND-2 learning soon.

People say "you have to move fast."

I am good at moving fast, I always have time spared at the end. (Not that I skimmed and randomly answered)>

If time management is not an issue for me, CCNA seems plausible.

Anyone done CCNA composite instead of seperate ICND 1 and 2 approach?

Just checking my sanity here.
(Forgot to add I got 100% on the subnetting, calculating part).

Comments

• Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    If you go after icnd2 first you WILL have to get icnd1
  • Options
    TransatlanticTransatlantic Member Posts: 120
    I think a lot depends on how much time you have available for study. For me, I have 2 little ones, so study time is very limited for me (maybe 1 hour / day or so), hence why I'm taking the ICND1 + ICND2 route. But if you can spare 2 - 3 hours / Day, with a month or so of study time I think you should be well placed to sit the full CCNA exam
    "Mistakes have been made, others will be blamed."
  • Options
    I see people having passed ICND-2 but not 1.

I think CISCO's rule regarding that is not really enforced.

or if I just take the composite, I'll get two at once?

Yes I have time to spare until school starts in January.

Any books you recommend besides ones by Odom?
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I think you should pass CCENT first if you failed it. Most people found the material on the second exam a LOT harder and if you're trying to study both exams material at the same time, you might be setting yourself up for some wasted money. A failed exam isn't a bad thing always but you should work on the material you've been working on and make sure you have it down before trying to move onto the next thing. As far as "moving fast," while it's admirable if you can do it, it shouldnt be your chief focus
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    I hear Cisco exams have higher cut than other vendors.

Can I only afford to get 2 or 3 questions wrong? out of 50?
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    I don't understand the logic. You failed CCENT so you want to try and take the CCNA?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have actually heard pretty compelling arguments in favor or taking the composite. Basically, if you're weak in any either half or even in a particular area, it effectively cuts in half the amount of content that you would get questions on.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying for ICND2 and the material is A LOT harder than ICND1. I would try to retake the ICND1 because in my opinion the CCENT was a joke compared to CCNA.
  • Options
    I don't know what I got wrong. Breakdowns are too general.

Scores from practice exams showed I am fine. (Apparently not)

I've been talking to people with view similar to "m3zilla."

I've been studying ICND-2 as well and VLSM, reverse subnet calculations didn't felt too difficult.

I took ICND-1 only to not risk throwing all $250.

I think I'll take practice test for ICND-2 after finish studying and if i do awful, I will re-take ICND-1.

I heard about some funny people who passed ICND-2 but not 1. (Cisco didn't enforce any rules).
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I have actually heard pretty compelling arguments in favor or taking the composite. Basically, if you're weak in any either half or even in a particular area, it effectively cuts in half the amount of content that you would get questions on.

I'm probably in the minority, but I feel like people who take the composite because they can't pass the individual tests shouldn't be a CCNA in the first place.

IMO, to be a good network engineer, you need to master the fundamentals, and that's what ICDN1 & ICND2 is. What validation would you get from passing an exam solely due to the fact that you weren't tested in the area you are weak in?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    On the one hand I agree. On the other, realistically you're going to forget things after a test. Doing ICND 1 and 2 separately means you're just going to forget more, sooner, if you don't work with it day in and day out. If you do work with it day in and day out, then it doesn't really matter.

Additionally, the argument against composite being easier is that you have more to learn all at once, since you need to remember a greater number of topics.

Finally, I don't view CCNA as making someone a network engineer. It's entry-level, and it helps validate skills or get an entry-level job. Someone trying to get it to help get an entry-level networking job who doesn't have much or any professional is not unwise to take the path of least resistance. Outside of cheating, I don't see any real harm in taking an easier route. If it were really such a big difference, I don't think Cisco would offer both paths.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I do and don't agree with you on this one, Ptilsen. I don't think it's quite as easy to forget about what's on ICND1 after you start studying for ICND2 since it's the basic stuff that you need to know to configure a router/switch. ICND1 goes through how to enter config mode, set up a username, configure SSH/telnet, set an IP on an interface, subnetting, basic routing and switching and the basics of networking (Network+ material). In my opinion, you're just taking that knowledge and bringing it up to the next level in your studies. Looking at the exam topics of ICND2:
    * VTP, RSTP, VLAN, PVSTP, 802.1q
    * Configuring VLANs
    * Troubleshooting trunks
    * InterVLAN routing
    * IPv6
    * OSPF, EIGRP
    * ACLs
    * WAN technologies
    * VPN (basic high level info)
    * PPP

You get the point. You can't really use any of those without the basic information you learn from ICND1.

I do agree with you that a CCNA does not a network engineer make ;) And if someone isn't using this knowledge daily in their lives, they're going to experience some massive information fade. I have to say that if someone is taking the composite exam because they want to get an "easier" test, then they probably shouldn't be a CCNA but I'm not really worried about that. I spoke to my WGU mentor back in the day when I was doing my CCNA and he was telling me that they used to ONLY offer the composite exam as part of their curriculum but they had to change it because so many people couldn't handle the composite and would fail. I imagine if one person is weak in the basics, the harder topics are going to difficult for them. IF they're strong in the harder topics, I don't see how configuring an IP address on an interface or configuring DHCP on a router would be hard for them.

Just my two cents
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sendalot wrote: »
    I think I'll take practice test for ICND-2 after finish studying and if i do awful, I will re-take ICND-1.
    What are you using to study? Also, why are you starting to study for ICND 2 if you failed ICND 1? Why not conquer the 1st the go on to ICND 2 after you pass. What were your percentages from ICND 1?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Op stated he missed by 5% which isn't bad. Personally, I'd want to get the first test first (Cheaper), and then go to the next one. Less money spent, less material to study.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    On the one hand I agree. On the other, realistically you're going to forget things after a test.

Absolutely. BUT, if you're going to forget how a switch makes its forwarding decision, or how to setup a switch for management, which is why ICND1 is all about, then you shouldn't be touching the network.
    Finally, I don't view CCNA as making someone a network engineer. It's entry-level, and it helps validate skills or get an entry-level job.

I agree with you, which is why I said ICND1 & 2 provides the basic fundamentals you need to be a network engineer.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    You should retake the CCENT, or take the Composite Exam.

The CCENT is foundational knowledge. Taking short cuts will only hurt you in the long run. ICND2 is much harder, and anything beyond that is even more difficult. Cisco Exams and Certifications are regarded as one of the highest paid certifications, and as such, they make them hard to obtain.

do yourself a favor, spend the proper time learning the fundamental knowledge in the CCENT, then retake it. Skipping that sort of stuff will only hurt you in the long run.

For exmaple, if you go take SWITCH, and dont have the basic L2 skills, or go into the CCNA, and don't have the proper RIP knowledge.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    What study resources are you using? Are you labbing in Packet Tracer or GNS3 at all? Have you watched any of the CCNA CBT Nuggets?

Those resources could be a big help to you.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    I've been using CiscoPress books. By Odom.
    For exam practice, I used Transcender. I'm going to try Boson.

Is CBTNugget really good as people say? That what you used?

The subscription cost is pretty high and I want to choose very carefully.

And yes, I think I might just go CCNA composite.