Options

Losing internet connection (Comcast)

2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have Comcast at home (TV, Data and VoIP). Everything was working fine for about a year, and I have not made any changes.

2 weeks ago, the internet drops and no longer available. I log into my netgear router, and see that the WAN portion is red. I reset the modem, but it does not come back to fully operating condition and I can't reach any websites, my phone is down and the TV is still working. (although soon, that has stopped as well).

Comcast was over here twice, we have replaced the modem, splitter, cables without different results. Logically, we moved to testing the line from the Condo I live in to the junction box, which is about 100 yards away.

Comcast advised the cable has a break in it. Great............

So the internet has been down for a while, all of the sudden it comes back up. I tested the connection with T1 | Business Broadband & Voice Provider | Speakeasy Inc., and found it fluctuates between 1 Mbps and 5 Mbps, nowhere near where it should be, which is between 13 and 15 Mbps.

I was able to browse the net this morning, but now I'm back to square one, with no internet again.

Of course my HOA refuses to deal with it (which is complete BS, per their CCNR rules), and getting a lawyer is very costly.

I called a contractor to come and test the coaxial line again, and perhaps put a new one in.

The only clues I have right now is the huge mice problem we have in this neighborhood, one of the neighbors has UVERSE and the mice supposedly damaged his coax, so AT&T downgraded his service in order to maintain some level of connectivity.

Any ideas/suggestions are welcomed.
A+
Network+
CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I had problems with your ISP years ago and switched to AT&T (although right now I'm not super happy with them either), but the ISP you list could not resolve the issue. I waited all day for a 'tech' and then sent me some lackey who told me I needed a 'tech' (and I said that's what tech support and I discussed and that they determined I needed someone with a clue), so this guy voided the order, told me to wait 3 days so he did not get 'redispatched' and maybe I'd get lucky and get a 'tech'. (all this started when he realized what I did for a living and the ONLY reason I called them was because the problem was traced to be on their side of gateway...tech support on the phone confirmed this as well).

I called AT&T and signed up with them had service in three days.

Wish I had a better report for you. I've lost all confidence in the ISP you list as my story is sadly not unique.

Short of going to some sort of wireless (which is not a great option)...you may be stuck with whomever controls the wires in your area.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it comes down to it - Mifi. It's an expensive route, but it'll get you service if you need the connectivity - School, Work, etc.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    check the inside wallplate, take it off then remove the rf fitting from the wall plate, sometime water will get under the coax sheathing and travel. If the white dieletric foam has become rusty looking you found the trouble. Check all the out door fittings for the same. Another issue is a neighbor with a hack modem that sucks up all the local bandwidth; if that is the case you need a line amp to boost your signal.
    did your cable tech use a signal strength meter to read the levels?

The cable tech should have run a temporary drop straight from the lock box distribution center to you; this is the fastest way to eliminate allot of mystery, to help the diagnosis.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Bottom line is, no matter who you switch to...you'll get the same types of low paid poorly trained "techs" both on site and over the phone. This is not just a Comcast issue. It is every cable and DSL provider in the US.

It sucks, but they have us by the balls. Just like cell phone carriers. Eventually you run out of providers to switch to. And all of their costs will go up every 6-12 months via random fees or taxes.

Situations like yours really stink. Nothing worse than having the provider pit the issue on you....whether it really is your fault (in this case, line break in condo) or not.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Woke up this morning and did a speed test again, not only the internet is working, but the results are hard to believe:

Download: 35 Mbps

Upload: 6 Mbps
    A+
    Network+
  • Options
    Doing some reading on Rogue Modems, if one runs it in my neighborhood, would he be affecting other people?
    A+
    Network+
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah a hacked modem that is un-capped with custom configs for speed, and hacked for unlimited bandwidth usage. Deffinitly will affect the neighbors service. If a guy runs multiple hacked modems with line amps, that will F up the whole node, alot! That has also been know to damage some of the circiuts in the, lock box/ ped/ pole, blow the circiutry behind the faceplate of the main ports.

First thing they should do is to take a signal level reading at the tap, the ports outside.
    Second they should run temp line from the main connection taps/ ports outside to your set top just to find were the trouble lies.

You should look at your contract and see if it states that your responsible for the line up to the house, in most cases your not. You are not alowed to replace it yourself or hire a friend. The point of your responsibility is from the connection on your house to your set.