Options

I'm planning to take a number of MCITP exams early next year

Dr. CaseyDr. Casey Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been enrolled in an excellent computer course at a technical college since September the 1st 2011, and am going to graduate this December the 19th. Thanks to this program I've earned quite a few certifications; three from CompTIA (A+, Network+, and Security+) and one from Microsoft (Windows 7, 70-680). In January and February, I've been thinking about taking the other five exams that this computer course prepares you for: 70-685, 70-686, 70-642, 70-640, and 70-646. I'm a completionist, doubling my number of certifications would look good on my resume, and most of these concern Windows Server 2008, an operating system I've enjoyed learning about and working with through my LabSims. I have a few questions, though.

Will these five exams give me five certifications? Or are some of these designed more like the A+ certification, where you were required to pass both 220-701 and 220-702 to get one certificate?
How do you think these exams compare in difficulty to 70-680, the only Microsoft exam I've taken thus far? 70-680 is known for being one of the harder ones, right?
Are some of these exams redundant? Some of the exams have a great deal of overlap from what I can tell, such as 70-642 seeming rather similar to 70-646. Would taking these five exams be worth the rather sizable amount of money required?

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Because you have the 70-680 already you have a MCTS in Win 7. If you take and pass the 70-685 you will have the MCITP:EDST and if you take and pass the 70-686 you will have the MCITP:EDA. Now since MS has changed things around some you should also receive the MSCA: Windows 7 for those as well.

When you take and pass the 70-640 you will get an MCTS in Windows Server 2008R2 for Active Directory and the 70-642 will be an MCTS in server 08R2 Network infrastructure. Once you pass the 70-646 combined with the other 2 Server08 exams you will then receive the MCITP:SA and the MCSA: Server 2008. Now in order to earn the MCITP moniker you will need to pass all these exams before July of next year. If you do not then you will only receive the MCSA moniker.

As for difficulty that will depend on your current level of knowledge in Server 2008 and Windows 7. Some people struggle with the 70-680 while others don't so it just depends. As for redundent the 70-685 and 686 will have some overlap with eachother as well as the 70-680. The 70-642 has some overlap with the 640 in terms of DNS and the 646 kinda sums up both of those exams with some extra questions thrown in.

In the end the only you can determine if its worth the money. Check out job listings in your area to see if they are asking for these certs. Do you want to be a Sys admin in Windows? If so these are great certs to have. If you want to be a network person working with Cisco then maybe they won't really be worthwhile in the end. It really depends on what you want to do.

For some decent free training on some of these tests check out IT Free Training | Where free means free

Hope that helps.