Options

I've Never Personally Seen This Before, But It's About Time (Tech Support Class)

SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
I was perusing through the info tech class catalog for the City College of San Francisco, (my new home-away-from-work-and-home for the immediate future,) and I came across a very interesting course that I have never seen at any of the other community colleges I've been to:
CNIT 105: IT Customer Support

Overview of the concepts and procedures associated with operating a technical support center or help desk call center, with particular emphasis on technologies that can facilitate the work and generate statistics. Extensive simulated and hands-on experience, role-playing and problem solving to practice good customer service and communication skills.

There's even a lab.
CNIT 105L: Computer Technical Support Lab

Introduction to hardware diagnosis and troubleshooting, and software maintenance, upgrading, and problem-solving; including the opportunity to work with real Help Desk software to log calls, and, at times, real end-user problems; and to work with a variety of real hardware problems in a simulated Service Center. Designed to provide hands-on practice with hardware and software, techniques and procedures covered in CNIT 105. Teamwork will be emphasized.

And while I'm sure other schools offer similar courses, I've never personally seen one in the wild before. It's a refreshing thing to see that CIS students get at least a little bit of hands-on experience not just with the technologies they'll be working with, but also the end-users and real-life operational situations they'll be dealing with. How many of us had to learn those soft skills in our first tumultuous few weeks or months on the job, and I can't tell you how confused I felt the first time I was expected to do things like document my work in tickets and log my work hours. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While I am very thankfully removed from direct customer support in a service desk capacity, I completely appreciate putting some quality customer support training in the curriculum. Unfortunately, even many senior engineers are not well-versed at interacting with customers..this course would even help some of them.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well look, I already told you! I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people! Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have literally sat in a meeting where someone said "I talk to customers so the engineer's don't have to..I'm a people person"

No, I'm not joking! I always appreciate a good office space reference..but it's even more hilarious when the guy has no idea he's doing one!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm also a big fan of that last line of the lab-class: "Teamwork will be emphasized." Kind of a biggie when you're making the transition from plain ol' tech-geek to actual IT professional.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.