Droid Bionic Saga!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
It has a happy ending, but first the crappy parts. I've had my Droid Bionic for a little over a year now and for the most part I've liked it. One problem that developed within a few weeks was I would completely lose my data connection. I'd ultimately find out that the issue was with switching from 4G to 3G. I would literally lose my data connection for hours and a reboot wouldn't fix it. I researched and found if I just left it in 3G only, that I wouldn't have that issue so that's what I've been doing. The other issue I had is it would randomly start typing letters as I typed and also would freeze, where I would have to lock the screen then unlock to unfreeze the app. Finally, Facebook would just not work on 4G (which I would normally have turned off).

So I rooted my phone, removed some unwanted apps, and add some fun ones. Now Verizon released the Ice Cream Sandwich update over the air and I was hoping it would fix my issues. Go to install it and it fails. Do some research and people report that now instead of just unrooting your phone, Verizon was just failing the install. I unroot my phone and it still fails. Further research showed that by removing the stock apps, it would not install. I gave up for a bit, but finally decided to install a rom in an attempt to get ICS. No matter what I did, it kept failing. Finally I did it through the command line and it appeared successful. Nope, bricked it. It would just hang at the Motorola screen and do nothing.

Further research and I was able to find the stock ICS rom for Bionic and I started to pray. 30 minutes later ICS was loaded on my phone and boy is it awesome. Another 30 minutes and I was rerooted! So far I haven't had any data dropping on 4G (other then areas of the building where I would lose data due to reception issues). Thank you Google!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Were you still on Gingerbread when you were running into all those issues upgrading?

I have a bionic as well. ICS has been flawless for me.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ics has worked well for me

im not even rooted
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah rooting my Razr made the OTA update for ICS fail, well it wasn't rooting it was me rooting and then using a third party app to freeze apps so I wouldn't keep getting notices to update all the crapware Motorola and Verizon puts on my phone like the NFL and Sega apps...
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Love ICS on my droid bionic too. The only complaint that I have is that on gingerbread when I checked my email it would leave it on the server so that I could still pull them down on Outlook. With ICS email gets removed from the server so I lose it making my Outlook filing and archive functions kind of useless so I had to stop reading email on my phone. Haven't really had time to look for a solution to this but is is kind of upsetting forcing me to use a manual online access through the web browser when I am on the road.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So far so good! Yeah I was on Gingerbread and while it was great initially, it became more and more of a hassle. Haven't notice the corporate email issue you mention Shadow, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. tpatt100, same here my friend. I actually removed them so it kept failing!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□