Options

IT Manager vs Tech

NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
Due to a recent increase in rank and responsibilities at my current job (Navy), I am being exposed to a more managerial-type role in the workplace. It has me thinking about pursuing my B.S. in Information Systems Management rather than the Computer Networks and Security degree that I had originally planned on. I was hoping to get some inputs from some of you experienced folks here on TE. What are the primary duties of the IT manager(s) at your current workplaces? As a manager, do you still get your hands into the nuts and bolts of the operation very often? For anyone who is a manager now and was previously a tech, do you miss being the tech? What are the pros and cons that you have experienced from your shift from tech to management? I really love being the go-to tech and troubleshooting and solving problems that arise, but I feel like there are also plenty of problems to be solved at the management level. I also consider myself to be a decent politician. Any insight you guys can give me on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
B.S. - Computer & Network Security

Comments

• Options
    nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I understand your worries, however, whether you study Info Sys or Computer Net & Sec, what will matter the most is your skill set. Besides before you can be a manager, you would have done the task and be as close to excellent as possible (This is regardless of your degree). The degree will only give you an edge but not determine if you are a good manager or not.
    I manage 3 guys and I must say that before I was given that role, the management made sure I had substantial amount of experience on each desk. It's not a requirement however, it just makes you a management guy that can also mount a seat when it comes to tech related issues. Just my 2 cents
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, nethacker. It makes sense to know the role and job requirements of the people that you will be in charge of. Another real concern that I have is, when applying for tech jobs after I get out will it HURT me to have my B.S. in Info Sys Mgmt rather than in a more technical area? Keep in mind I have my A.S. in Computer Networking as well as the certs listed to the left.
  • Options
    Trust me, it won't hurt at all provided your technical expertise/experience is what the prospective employer wants.
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't have any experience with management in government but if you are inquiring about private sector, there are probably more pros than cons with being in IT management versus tech individual contributor. For one, the compensation ceiling is a lot higher. The role of an IT manager can vary greatly even within the same corporation. And the responsibilities in terms of hands-on work can also be very different depending on the level of manager and support function. Generally speaking, the skills that are valued will pertain more to organizational effectiveness and communications instead of pure technical knowledge in management.
  • Options
    Agreed with you. where I currently work, most of the management guys were at one point in time technical. If need be, they get technical but not as much as the tech guys
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    But does that higher compensation ceiling come with added stress and/or hours? Do companies often bring in new hires to fill management positions or is it more common for them to select an individual contributor from within the company to step up and fill the role?
  • Options
    They would rather have an internal person transition to that role instead of bringing someone with different orientation and ideas from outside. Also it depends on the organization's culture.
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    It depends on the company culture and also what you are offering. When military guys get out with higher enlisted roles lot of time they know how to "people" manage, but are lacking skills in "money" area's unless they are E7 and up, so that usually leaves them with being Team Leads for tech shops which is a good place to start. If you stick around for 20+ years an leave as E8 or performing E8 roles with a Masters Degree you can get out and make some serious coin. We had a ITCS who got out out and walked into a 200K year job as a IT director. He has a few certs, a Masters degree, but he Managed a lot of the program offices in NMCI.

Higher stress it depends. Its nothing you havent seen before from the Firefighting Drills, the away from home, and the politics. All are still here. You were deemed competent by your peers in the navy you won't have any problems on the
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Thanks for the good responses! Staying in for 20 and getting out making 200k sounds great, except for the "staying in" part..haha. Also, nethacker, I PM'd you.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NavyIT wrote: »
    But does that higher compensation ceiling come with added stress and/or hours?
    I imagine that's a subjective measure. Yes, I do work a lot of hours and there is stress. But lots of other non-managers probably work long hours as well. But being somewhat senior, I also have a lot of flexibility. As for stress, I imagine that if you work in the military, your chances of being sent someplace where people with guns shoot at you is a lot more stressful than anything I deal with.
    NavyIT wrote: »
    Do companies often bring in new hires to fill management positions or is it more common for them to select an individual contributor from within the company to step up and fill the role?
    It depends. Most companies will post open positions but if someone internal is qualified then the internal candidate has the upperhand. But sometimes, companies will explicitly go external to get new blood. That's how I ended where I am.