Options

Application accepted

gr3g0reegr3g0ree Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there,
I have been lurking around here every now and then and read a lot of very helpful insights. Would like to thank all of you and here is where I am now:

I passed the interview with the manager and have been accepted to start my work experience with a company early next year, but need to reply before the end of the week. Here is the ad I replied to:
  • Contract type

Temporary
We are looking for IT Work Experience for our IT department. Ideally we are hoping for applications from recent graduates. The work Experience is minimum 3 months.

PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Support IT team in the maintenance of hardware, software and other systems
2. Troubleshoot issues with equipment such as printers and client computers or networking equipment
3. Perform software updates on client computers
4. Research available options and alternatives for the various IT systems or hardware
5. Supporting users with day to day computer related issues
6. Maintaining support tickets via IT Servicedesk
7. Creating best practices guides and documentations
8. Support internal and external users when required.

KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
2. Flexibility and creativity.
3. Good Administrative skills
4. Accuracy and attention to detail
5. Prioritization and time management skills
6. Multicultural orientation and the ability to manage and work with people from different countries.

Please note this is an unpaid position, however some expenses will be covered.

This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate and may lead to permanent employment.

If interested in applying for this position please reply to ..........................

I am working in a warehouse selling CD's, DVD's, Vinyl's (part of the best team (of 4) in the company - words of my boss lol) and managed to get the Comtia A+ and N+ last year. But I dont like my job, and I'm interested in IT. Got no direct work experience in IT field, so was applying for internships. London, UK based.
Before I say a definite yes, I would like to reply and ask to clarify more what the expectations are, as the interview was short cca 20-25 mins and I only focused on showing my best side. (and I did rather well)
It is a small company, website under construction so almost no info about them, and they provide IT support.

Is it a good idea to ask 1st about their expectations? What do they exactly want me to do in 3 months. What would the tasks of a normal day be? What expenses are covered? Also what salary am I looking at if successful. How many people or companies are they working with? Maybe the best case scenario for them, and the worst case scenario???

Do you have any ideas to what to ask/look for, find out before I join them???

I am not planning to do another unpaid internship, but don't want to fail half way. Most important is to work for a "proper" company but I have no illusions, need to take what comes along and hope for the best!?! Working hard and getting more certs is an obvious plan :)

If you got something you want me to ask, just ask ;)
Thank you for every reply.

Comments

• Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    You say you aren't willing to do another internship but put in an application for a job that says it's unpaid? I'm not really sure why you would do that. So yes, I would be asking what expenses are covered. Might be things like the cost of fuel if you are having to travel to different sites.

I also would be a little weary of the job. They say they prefer recent college graduates but aren't willing to pay. I would think that if this was an internship they would be looking for someone that is still in school nearing graduation. I would think most recent graduates are looking for paid jobs, not internships. So I might take that line about being hired full time with a grain of salt. It just seems a little fishy to me.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD