Options

So where do you work and what are your job duties?

noobie651noobie651 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Same as the title
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    no takers

company: I work for one of the largest cisco partners in the US.

Position: Sr Voice engineer.

Job duties: I implement VOIP/Video solutions for large enterprise/service provider clients.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You think people are going to tell you that? Do you think everyone here is using their real name as their sign-in name? First post as well!

Spam I reckon.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    me too thats why I made up mine :)
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    @shodown
    Thanks for the post. You work alot just with call manager and stuff? You implement any r&s?

@Essendon
    Huh? I thought forums were for questions like these icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    Essendon wrote: »
    Do you think everyone here is using their real name as their sign-in name?

Yeah, speak for yourself pal! =)

Company: K-12 School District in DFW, Texas area

Position: PC (IT) Support Coordinator

Job Duties: Manage PC techs/Helpdesk, various implementation projects, support wide range of devices and software
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Helpdesk/Desktop Support for a college. In addition to answering phones and closing tickets, I manage a handful of servers, IP addresses and DHCP, jabber, a few other part-time projects, as well as anything that needs to get done at the remote sites I'm closest to.

Many people like and enjoy the anonymity provided by not divulging too much personal info, so you probably won't get the response rate you wanted.
  • Options
    @mattlee09

You mainly do support? What are common problems when you're supporting a network?
  • Options
    wargamer6wargamer6 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Exact same thing as Matt, except in Chicago.
  • Options
    @Qord

Are you ever in the wiring closet fixing cabling problems or anything like that or is it just mostly help desk type job?
    And yea, I sort of figured that out lol thanks for the info though

@wargamer6

Is the work environment sort of like NOC?
  • Options
    noobie651 wrote: »
    You mainly do support? What are common problems when you're supporting a network?
    Yes, mainly support.

As far as the actual network? Layer 1 connectivity problems (cables unplugged, or not enough switchport density to cover every drop at the location). In some environments physical access to the network closets might be limited to only network staff, or the support staff will also have access, and mostly only escalates problems with configuration of network gear.

From users, primarily account/password issues to various services or assisting with software questions. If you are in an environment with aging hardware, expect to have more calls regarding failed HDD's, bad RAM, etc in which case a technician would be dispatched.
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Thanks for the insight!
    So you mentioned the problem being a layer 1 problem. Would you typically just ssh/telnet into the device and do some show commands?
    And how about internet connectivity problems? You encounter any of those problems too?
  • Options
    Not likely, as it is usually a physical issue of the network cable not being plugged in either on the client end or in the network closet. It could certainly be plugged in and the particular port be shutdown depending on your environment (ports not configured as access, BPDU guard, etc) in which case you would commonly escalate as a config issue. Helpdesk/field dispatch technicians might have very limited access to the device and basic 'show' commands, but would still need to escalate to have the config corrected.

True internet connectivity problems occur very rarely. When reported by users, the cause is most likely a mistyped URL or that the particular content is being blocked/filtered.
  • Options

Oh, so users don't usually encounter too many internet connectivity problems? But that would make sense though, most of the time the DNS and the DHCP would be functioning correctly otherwise the company would be facing real problems lol
    What sort of softwares do you work with and support?
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you ever in the wiring closet fixing cabling problems or anything like that or is it just mostly help desk type job?
    And yea, I sort of figured that out lol thanks for the info though
    Yes, I am very lucky in that I get to touch just about everything we have, including wiring in racks and closets. Although I'm in a helpdesk-type job, during the slow times I realistically only spend ~30% doing actual helpdesk work, so I get plenty of time to "play" with other things. I'm also in an environment where they encourage us to play and learn more at every opportunity, so I've had many chances to do work that's way above my paygrade. It's a great learning experience.
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I'm a remote resource for a DoD contracting agency. My position was created for me, and is called Continuity Support. Whatever the organization needs from a reachback capacity, I assist with. Research, testing, troubleshooting, new products, consulting, project management, technical writing, sharepoint administration, app development, web dev, and whatever else the company may need at any given time. Most of my work is project driven. It's great because I get to work at home.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I work for a company doing IT stuff.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    I work for an info sec company
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I work for the largest real estate company in my state and my duties are everything technology related. We recently were able to hire a part time individual fielding helpdesk calls and more or less keying in tickets and handling the very basic stuff. but for all the "heavy lifting" if you will it's myself and one other FT employee supporting over 50 branch offices and over 1500 users.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Work for a large manufacturing company
    Network Engineer - we do all LAN/WAN related projects and high level support...we do not do voice...thank god

If I am not at work, I am typically working on a buzz drunken_smilie.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Major online retailer providing sccm/intune administration and some vmware support
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Desktop Support for a global investment firm. In addition to answering phones and closing tickets, I'm also the unofficial Technical Writer for call center support and re-write scripts as required. Help with enduser testing, BCP testing, file recoveries, fixing AD screw ups (from user to OU issues).
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Huh? I thought forums were for questions like these icon_sad.gif
    @noobie651 - firstly - welcome to the TE forums. Questions like yours can be quite appropriate. I risk sounding like the lecturer but I really felt the need to respond. I enjoy reading and posting at this forum because it is well moderated and comprised of current and future IT professionals who share a common hope to succeed in this profession.

But the manner in which you chose to introduce yourself is a bit abrupt. Admittedly, when I first saw your post, I had a similar reaction as @Essendon. It reminded me of the kid that barges in on the playground and says "let me play" without ever introducing him/her self or understanding the community culture.

If you are trying to engage in a meaningful dialogue with other IT professionals about what other people do and their day-to-day job, that's great. Perhaps you can start by answering your own question and why you chose to ask it.

That said - I have a about 25 years of IT experience. I work for a line of business at a Fortune 500 company in IT management. My job primarily is in information security.

Again - welcome to the forum and I hope you stay a while.
  • Options

Yea I guess it does sound a little abrupt with me just asking a flat out question with no specifics about who I am and what I do. Was just too excited to get started on these forums and ask questions! :D
    But thanks for your insights Paul, greatly appreciate it!
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I work for a big corporation as a network engineer. So far, I'm building out and maintaining sites all over the globe and helping out with a major corporate move :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @noobie651

It may be wise for you to read through the forum a bit and notice how many of the senior member respond and post. There is no reason to quote every single reply in your post. If you are answering the post immediately above, do not quote it.

Likewise, when responding to a poster, you may be able to get by with @username as your posts have been cleaned up and exactly how paul78 responded to you. Our member tend to read the forum and do not need to re-read every single reply two or three times before seeing the next response.

While tackful quoting can be useful to clarify comments, full quotes are rarely necessary.

I too did not find your initial post a great opening and thought your purpose was more trolling for blog information rather than eager newcomer. So, consider introducing yourself a little nicer and stop with the interogation style approach of questions. The forum is for IT Test prep study, through which many members have gotten to know each other very well. Gossip and bull sessions are just not the style here. YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I work as an IT Analyst for a small state college. My duties vary, but I deal with networking, VMWare, VDI, general server administration, storage and pretty much anything that can be found on a network.
  • Options
    truckfittruckfit Banned Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work as a technical consultant.

I hate my job and my wack as company

I travel around thé country and implement adfs and office365 and do Server support and other tier 3 work.

Iris and you make it rain
  • Options
    Wow, didn't know my post would cause such a stir up. Didn't mean for any bad intentions at all
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Noobie, where do you work and what are your job duties? Giving us your background would be a good introduction.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340