Options

Home lab trouble

sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

In my lab I have a couple servers (running off VM) - but the problem is that one day after the servers were left on (usually they are shut off each night) the other computers mine and the other laptops/workstations the family uses started getting IP addresses from my servers.

I was just wondering how do i go about using them on my network (I only have the one connection coming in ADSL) - can I separate my PC from the servers using a subnet or something? its just causing major problems and I don't really want to purchase another internet line into the house.

Thank you for your comments :)

Comments

• Options
    X10MMXX10MMX Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you router at home doesn't have the function to route between subnets you wont be able to talk to the vm's on your home network.

Easiest way is I only allow my DHCP range to be 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.100. Unless you have loads of devices in your house you will never user 98 addresses.

That way you have 101-254 to allocate to use on your servers or exclude the IP's you use from your server from the DHCP range. Either one will work.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So, one of your VMs is a DHCP server, and I'm guessing that you have these VM's bridged to your home network? If you don't really need the DHCP server running on your VM, just let your VM's get IP addresses from the DHCP server on your home router. Otherwise, you're going to be better off putting your VM's on another subnet, which would require your home net and your VM net to connected to a router so they can communicate, assuming you are wanting to access the services on your VM's remotely.

You didn't really give us enough information about your environment and what you are trying to accomplish to say for sure what you need to do.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...